New Year's Eve

2020 was shit. 

And Beomgyu had every right to say that. Even TIME magazine agrees.

He was a freshman enjoying life; he had a college scholarship, a loving family, a passion for art and music, a boyfriend, and dozens of friends that would crash at his place and have parties. 

The first half wasn't too bad. Although there were a lot of people suffering around the world because of disease, war, poverty, sexual abuse, and depression; 

people in Hong Kong had been fighting for their freedom for a year already; 

fires in Australia destroyed so many wildlife; 

not to mention polar bears are going into extinction and the world is approximately going to end very soon if we don't reduce carbon production, 

it was all far away. 

Not that Beomgyu didn't care. He is an activist and openly talks about these issues with the public. He's even started a non-profit organization that delivers soap and other hygiene products to poor places and war-zones like refugee camps in the middle east. 

Even though he sees all the tragedy happening around him, it's always nice to be able to return to his apartment where everything is okay.

But then Covid struck. 

At first, he was skeptical of the situation. He isn't used to invisible enemies that humans can't even combat, and it just felt weird to be so tense. 

He didn't understand when the college he was supposed to enroll in started online class, then just stopped classes altogether.  

Then it hit full-blown and like many other people living in the west, Beomgyu had some sense knocked into him and he started to wear masks outside and avoid crowded areas like the government told them, but it was too late. 

He lost his mother to the virus.

His brothers and sisters tried very hard to pull together and keep the family running, but it's very obvious that it isn't the same. 

Christmas was unbearable, even.

And he lost some more friends, and eventually, they all drifted apart so there were only about half a dozen that would regularly contact Beomgyu. 

But he still had his boyfriend, and even though they didn't live together, they tried to keep contacting each other, calling whenever they can. 

It physically hurts to be away from his lover, but knowing how his mother left the world, Beomgyu knew it's better to stay home like this.

-------------

And it was the evening of the 31st, and Beomgyu's phone rang. 

It started with a click, then came normal talking, which became quieter and quieter until it went into utter silence. 

"Tell me this is a joke." He said, closing his eyes forcefully.

"I said it, let's break up." came the voice, flat without emotion, like the robot voice that YouTubers use all the time. "It's not your fault."