Chapter 5

Mira opens her eyes to white light. Her throat felt sore and swollen. She sat up, trying to talk, and was hushed back into bed by Hugo.

She looked around taking in her surroundings. Why was Hugo here? Where was she? The last thing she remembered was taking those pills. How did Hugo find her and how did she get here?

"You must be curious about how you got here? I'll let you know once I'm done with my story." Hugo said once he noticed she was awake. "Remember what I told you, Mira, you're not the only one with a bitter past. "

"I always had a temper for as long as I could remember, it was easy for me to get angry and act according to that anger. For me, it wasn't a problem. I did what I wanted as I wanted and nobody gave a care about me enough to question me about it. I met Esther 8 years ago. She was a wild girl and honestly, I liked her for that. Esther was the life of the party she drank, did drugs, lived on the wild side of life. We were not supposed to get married." Hugo said with a soft laugh. " We both understood that there were to be no strings attached, but then, Esther took in. Her doctor advised against an abortion considering that the last one had almost cost her life and womb, besides she was adamant to keep it." He paused and took a deep breath.

"As the first and only son of my father, I could not let my child be born outside marriage so I married Esther. This was three years after we started our relationship. The pregnancy was difficult and needed close monitoring, so she spent a lot of time in the hospital. This gave her a lot of time to think about her life and build a relationship with God, and by the time she gave birth, the party girl I knew was long gone. All her focus was now on Jesus and, it irritated me to no end. We had a relatively quiet marriage; quiet, not peaceful. I gave her everything she needed for the baby but I didn't love her. I slept around, got drunk, acted as I liked and, lashed out occasionally.

Four years after our marriage, I'd come home drunk and my meal wasn't ready. She'd attended a church program that evening and returned too late to prepare the meal before I arrived home. In a fit of rage, I beat her up and my little girl ran in to protect her mama..." He paused, clearing his throat. " Something I should have been doing. And I pushed her. I pushed her so hard she hit her fragile head against the glass table." He stopped for breath wiping the tears from his eyes and composing himself. And that was the last time she called me father. The table was very fragile, and the added force of the collision caused it to shatter, cutting Debbie at the back of her head. She died from blood loss." He looked Mira in the eyes.

"Do you know what killed me more than the fact that I killed my daughter?" He asked continuing before she could answer. "The fact that Esther forgave me she wouldn't be able to bear children as another pregnancy will cost her life, but she looked me in the eyes that evening barely an hour after the burial and told me she'd forgiven me. He looked at her and laughed. I couldn't understand it. I lived with the grief and pain for so long after that till I encountered Jesus; I knew of his love and then I understood why Esther could so easily forgive me. I knew why even minutes after the burial, she could offer love and forgiveness to her child's killer, and finding Jesus gave me so much peace. Peace I never had, a peace I didn't deserve, Peace beyond what the alcohol and the drugs could ever give me I haven't forgotten that night, and I don't think I'll ever forget it, but the assurance of God's love makes me feel new. Because once I accepted Jesus, Mira, I was no longer my child's murderer, I was a new creature in Christ and I had a new identity.

Someone may have hurt you beyond words, beyond belief, and left a wound that has not healed and seems like it will never heal but Mira, you have a chance to get healed. He said in his word that if he spared not his own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? All you need is included in 'all things.' The only thing you need to do is to accept Jesus."

###

Several thoughts ran through her head after hearing Hugo's story. What struck her the most was Esther's forgiveness. How could she forgive him after all he'd done to her ...she knew what it meant to lose a part of you that you've never met and couldn't even imagine the pain of losing a child. She couldn't understand it and was determined to meet Esther.

After she was discharged, Mira called Hugo who had reverted to his playful self.

"Good afternoon, who am I speaking with?" Hugo asked in surprise when he answered the call.

"It's Mira. I assumed you had my number."

"I do, I'm just surprised you called. The world must be ending." He said as a small laugh escaped her.

"And she laughed!" He exclaimed, "Guess the Ice Queen is finally letting some warmth into her cold palace."

"Don't push your luck, Hugo. She said as a huge smile crossed his face.

"So how are you doing?" he asked sobering up.

"I guess I'm doing better..."

"Mira..."

"I'm not 100 percent, but I'm getting better."

"That's great. I know you didn't call to say thanks. that's not your style."

"While that is true, it's one of the reasons I called. I've been thinking about what you said and I would love to talk with Esther."

"That's a technical request but I'll see what I can do."

" What do you mean by technical?"

" I'll have to confirm if she's in town."

" I assumed you guys were married?"

" We're not, Mira. Staying married in such circumstances is nearly impossible. I put an end to it."

"Of course. Thanks, Hugo... For everything." She said as she ended the call. Hugo said a prayer of thanks to God for making him an instrument of healing and reconciliation for Him.