17| Priority

Chapter 17: Priority (Ella's POV)

The honeymoon ended too soon for my liking, as I had expected it to. Royals don't get time for honeymoons, that is how it always has been. We stepped out of the car, Nick helping me out the way he always does and leading us inside the palace while the staff got our bags for us. 

Even though we objected. Both of us. It's one bag, we could easily carry it ourselves. 

"I'm scared," I mumbled. 

"Why?" he questioned, slightly confused. 

"I don't think your father likes me very much," I whispered as we entered the palace. 

"I think he may have to just deal with it now," he rolled his eyes, tightening his grip on my hand. 

"Nicholas." I came to a screeching halt and he stopped beside me, turning to me. "I don't know how to..." I trailed off, feeling uneasy. 

"You will be fine, Ella," he said, taking a step closer to me, grabbing either side of my face, his thumbs stroking my cheeks. "Trust me, I am right by your side, hmm?" 

"Hmm," I nodded absentmindedly, looking around, hoping his father wasn't there anywhere near. 

"Ella?" 

"Hmm," I nodded again, very absentmindedly. He grabbed the back of my neck, crashing his lips on mine. I most certainly was not absent to what was going on around me now, I was very aware. He pulled back, looking me dead in the eyes. 

"Have I got your attention now?" He arched a brow at me. 

I nodded, "You most certainly have." 

"Good. Now let's go," he nodded encouragingly. I walked by his side, my hold on his hand tightening. We met his mother first, she was lovely as usual, and then his father came downstairs. "Father," Nick nodded at him with a forced smile. 

"Nicholas," his dad nodded. "Ella," he said without sparing me a glance. 

Up yours too, father-in-law. 

"Father-in-law," I smiled. 

I don't understand. He arranged this marriage. 

"I hope you two enjoyed your honeymoon," my mother-in-law smiled. 

"We certainly did," Nick smiled. 

"I would like to have a word with you both," his dad said. He then turned around and started walking. I figured we were supposed to follow him and- oh, look at that. We did. I'm guessing this was his study. We both took a seat across from him, waiting for him to talk. "You both went on your honeymoon directly from the wedding, I hope there was no trouble." 

We both softly shook our heads. 

"Ella, you understand that this wedding must improve our kingdoms and their relations, correct?" 

I'm confused. Why are we talking about this? 

"Yes, certainly," I nodded. I hate this. On our honeymoon, we were so normal with each other, so casual, and now talking so formally feels awful. 

"And the first step shall be bringing a new heir to the throne." 

Nick and I looked at each other, biting our tongues. "Right," I nodded, listening anyway. 

"I am aware that he doesn't agree with my views, per se. But I trust that you understand?" 

"No, actually, she does not. We both do not understand," Nick snapped.