Chapter 10

'It's certainly better than the last two but there's still something not right about it.' Zander complained as he tugged at the waistcoat Sarah had put together for his costume.

'This is the fourth alteration I've made in the past two weeks.'

'I know, I...I'm sorry. I just can't get comfortable in anything.'

Sarah sighed heavily as Zander walked behind the curtain and began to get changed. There was a silence that lingered until Zander re-emerged, he tiptoed around the table and looked over Sarah's shoulder a few times.

'Wow, you really are so talented.'

'Don't you have work to get on with?' Sarah interrogated, completely ignoring his compliment.

'I'm sure they'll cope without me for a bit. Besides, I need a break from Lucy. I know she's your mate but..'

'Yeah, she is a bit bitchy but she's a great friend.' Sarah threw the pencils back into the tray and stood up.

'You know the kind...' she glared at him as she gathered up all the material needed for the alteration.

'Reliable, trustworthy'

Zander stood and came beside her, placing his palms flat on the table so that they were level with hers. As she began to pull the thread from the fabric, Zander lifted his hand and swiftly placed it over hers.

'Don't do that?' he lifted her hand away 'I've not been entirely truthful with you.'

'Sounds familiar' Sarah snatched her hand free from his grip.

'I love the costume, it's perfect. I loved the very first one' he lifted the outfit from the table and held it against his body.

Placing a coat hanger tentatively inside the attached shirt, Zander placed it on the rack. Sarah's lips parted as she tried to open her mouth and speak but Zander politely hushed her.

'It's not just that. I've been lying to myself. Ever since that night, I've been unable to get you off my mind.'

'Really? Why's that?' Sarah slowly lifted her head but just as she did, Zander knelt beside her.

He placed his fingers on her chin and forced her head towards his. Softly, his lips touched against hers and he brushed his fingers through her hair.

'Because I'm in love with you and I want to know if you'll go out with me.'

***

Sarah glanced over her shoulder at every second door she walked past, checking no one was following until she turned the corner, the blue Bentley was parked in the usual spot at the bottom of the next street. Zander lowered the volume on the radio and leaned forward as Sarah opened the door.

'Good morning' he growled playfully and passionately kissed her lips.

The kiss lingered and Zander pulled her closer to him, holding her tighter until she wriggled away from his arms, remembering where they were.

'We'd better get going or we'll be late.'

'I still don't understand why I have to pick you up here and not outside your place.'

'Because people will talk.'

'I thought that's what you wanted.' Zander decided more than asked as he sped up the road, slamming hard on the breaks as he reached the traffic lights.