part one

part one

"atsumu, that's enough." kita's voice was stern as he reached for the shot glass that was on its way to atsumu's mouth.

"what the fuck!" atsumu exclaimed. "if yer gonna stop anyone from drinking, it shoulda been sunarin! he's drank way more than me." atsumu gestured in the general direction of suna, who was sitting on osamu's lap, fingers curled around a bottle of vodka.

this was how their parties always went. kita would invite them over, they would get drunk, osamu and suna would spend the night making out on the couch, and atsumu would wake up alone on the floor somewhere with a headache. after the last party, which resulted in osamu needing three stitches, kita had prohibited alcohol. but for unknown reasons, several drinks had been found on the kitchen counter, complete with shot glasses. atsumu had claimed it was a sign and kita had eventually conceded, on the basis that it was the christmas holidays so their game performance wouldn't be affected much.

"suna doesn't get drunk easily. you, atsumu, do." kita's words caused suna to smirk as he took another sip straight from the bottle.

"what's that supposed to mean?!"

"he means yer a lightweight." osamu spoke, his smirk mirroring suna's.

"shut up."

"atsumu," kita chided. "you've had enough. stop."

"no."

"atsumu." kita prised the glass from atsumu's hands and set it down on the side. "and don't pout. you know i'm right."

"i hate you."

"no you don't."

"i love you."

kita sighed.

"don't say things like that when you're drunk."

"can i say 'em when i'm sober?"

he gently smacked atsumu's hand.

"don't say those things at all, unless you mean it."

"i do mean it!" atsumu protested. "i tell you all the time that i love ya."

"only when you're trying to get out of doing something."

"it's a coincidence."

"go to sleep." kita spoke wearily. "it's late, and you're drunk."

"i'm not even that drunk." atsumu's voice was uncharacteristically calm. "i swear it."

kita exhaled.

"if you're not going to sleep, then at least drink some water." he went into the kitchen and returned with a plastic cup half full of tap water.

"thanks."

kita watched atsumu drink, an unreadable expression on his face.

"kita-san?"

"yes?"

"it's still christmas season, right?"

"it is."

"so," atsumu drew out the sounds. "i've gotta kiss someone under the mistletoe."

kita smiled tersely.

"there's no mistletoe here."

"metaphorical mistletoe."

"it feels like you're just looking for an excuse to kiss me."

"so what?"

"you're intoxicated."

"only thing intoxicating me right now is love." kita flushed redder than atsumu had ever seen, and he hastily apologised. "sorry. i didn't wanna make you uncomfy."

"it's fine."

"but it was true. i think i'm in love with you."

kita blinked and turned away.

"you don't mean what you're saying."

"i mean exactly what i'm saying!" atsumu frowned. "why'd ya always think i'm joking whenever i tell you this?"

"because you only say it when you're drunk." kita didn't speak loudly, but his words rang in atsumu's ears.

"what do you mean?"

he shook his head slowly.

"you really don't remember?"

"remember what?"

"the last party." kita looked down. "you told me you loved me. we kissed."

"we did?"

"and the next morning, you acted like nothing had happened."