Chapter 1: Principium

What the hell?  You blinked, staring at the entrance with wide eyes. Voices and footsteps echoed across the hallway and filtered into the room through the crack under the door. Did they find us? Are we dead?'

You forgot all about your brother sitting lazily in the center of the room. You'd been ready to give him a piece of your mind when you'd seen that he'd forgotten to clean up his mess in the kitchen (again), but now your heart was racing a mile a minute.

"What is that?" You frowned, listening more intently for any clues that might reveal who the intruders were. The footsteps were light but plentiful, suggesting that they belonged to a group of either children, extremely underweight people, or ninjas. You figured it was most likely the first. Your eyes lit up and you turned to face your brother once again, instantly dimming when you saw his scowling face. "You don't think it's....escapees, Yuugo?"

Suddenly the door opened and you came face to face with a group of young children, seemingly ranging from 5 to 11, with a wide-eyed, red-headed girl spearheading them.

"Hi there." Yuugo lifted his cracked-ass teacup as he crossed his legs on the table (much to your annoyance). "You've come a long way. Welcome to Shelter B06-32."

Your brother began scarfing down cookies and chomping loudly, and you grimaced and glanced at the kids. "Sorry for his manners, he's an idiot."

The children glanced at you, sizing you up. Self-conscious, you looked down at yourself; you were wearing a white, long sleeve button up shirt with a washed-out red pullover, along with a pair of loose, long shorts. Your (h/c) hair was tied up in a bun from you having cleaned the kitchen area before this encounter. They then looked over at Yuugo and sized him up, and then back to you, back to Yuugo, back to you.

The girl from before faced Yuugo. "Are you Minerva?"

"Nope."

"Please take us to him, we've come all the way to see Willian Minerva."

"He ain't here, kids." Yuugo leaned back in his chair.

A black-haired boy stepped up. "You know about Minerva, clearly. Where is he now?"

"Hell if I know!" Your brother started cackling as you sighed.

"Who are you two? What are you doing here?" The boy asked once again.

"I'm (Y/-" You began, but your brother stopped you as he stood up from his chair, shooting you a warning glance. You frowned back at him. What was he doing?

"We're your seniors." He pulled out his pen, the one that had helped you and your family arrive here in the first place. The one with Minerva's instructions. "But we're not from Grace Field."

He lifted up his shirt to show his identification code on his stomach. You did the same and added: "We're from Glory Bell plantation. We escaped 13 years ago."

The little children began saying that you two were just like them, survivors.

"That's right," Yuugo said. "We ended up here while searching for Minerva. Waited years for him to come, but he hasn't. Face it, man's a dirty liar."

"Though, I'm happy for this shelter, no?" Yuugo sat on the table as you pulled out a chair and seated yourself. "There are provisions, electricity, water...yay for Minerva."

The redhead spoke up again. "So where's the rest of your family? You have more than just the two of you right?"

Your eyes widened at the question, and Yuugo spit out his answer.