04. happy now?

04. happy now?
(🕸🧷🎒🤟🏼🕷)
may & peter's apartment
int. night

     GAVIN HATED THE GLASSES. THEY were non-prescription, of course, but didn't fit on the bridge of his nose right. The flannel was a bit more bearable, he just couldn't stand how much it itched. His shoulders were too broad—he felt stupid. He wasn't built for 'that nerdy hipster crap' as he made blatantly clear to Maria. She'd suggested a pair of Chelsea boots to pull the whole look together, and he almost plugged her right then and there.

He pushed his glasses up again. If anything good came out of this assignment, it'd be an appreciation for his 20/20 vision.

     They been part of what was essentially his uniform for the last three months. Corduroy, button-ups and wool socks covered May's bed, crammed next to his open suitcase. He held up a grey t-shirt. "What about this one?"

Gavin felt May's slender arms wrap around him from behind, her lips gently kissing the nape of his neck. "Mmm—I like it."

     He huffed, tossing it off to the side. He was smiling, though, hand finding May's and squeezing it. "I'm not seeing that anytime soon, am I?"

May chuckled. "I'll take good care of it. You'll be reunited in two weeks."

Gavin severely doubted that. He threw a sweatshirt into the suitcase, watching as May snaked around him and sat on the edge of the bed. She started to fold some of the clothes.

"I still can't believe your college paid for all this. It's almost too good to be true. Peter's really excited—even though he doesn't show it."

"Yeah—well..." Gavin just shrugged, rolling up a few pairs of socks. "It's not all work, no play. I might've promised to write an essay—European architecture. It'll give the department a little boost. History enrollment's been down. And, I'm sure the school won't pass up the opportunity to bombard a bunch of high school kids with application info."

     "Hey, that's great, though—the essay. You better let me read it," May told him, packing away a pile of shirts. "Oh—you should ask Peter to help you. Have him take pictures or something. It'd be cute—I'm glad you're gonna be spending time with him."

Gavin snorted. "Yeah, I'm sure he's thrilled."

"Don't be like that," she scolded. "He's just—he's been having a hard time bouncing back from...being gone. He's a special kid. He'll come around to you. This is just a good opportunity for you two to..." Her voice trailed off.

"What? Bond?" Gavin grinned.

May swatted his arm playfully. "Don't make fun of me, I'm serious! It'd mean a lot to me if you tired—okay? That's all."

"Alright, yeah—yeah, I will," he assured her, eyeing the growing pile of Now May's Shirts with a frown. "I'll even—"

"Uh—Gavin? Can I talk to you about something?" Gavin looked up from packing to find Peter in the narrow doorway, hands jammed into the pockets of his jeans.

     "Yeah, sure Pete," he said good naturedly. He stood, turning back to look at May.

     'Bonding moment,' she mouthed.

     Gavin rolled his eyes, almost walking smack into Peter. The kid looked small in the way that he carried himself—always doing something with his hands and flashing that endearing, twitchy smile. Gavin knew there was more too him, but wondered why the kid insisted on keeping it locked away.

     "Uh, hey," Peter said again, biting his lip. "It's really cool you're gonna be on the trip and all, I just, um—and, I don't mean this in a bad way, really. You're uh, really cool, I just—"

     Gavin laughed. "It's okay, Pete, I get it."

     "You...do?"

     "Yeah. You wanna have fun with your friends—like, uh, Neil—"

     "Ned—"

     "—without me breathing down your neck. Hanging out with your aunt's boyfriend is lame. I wouldn't wanna embarrass you. I know how it goes—I was in high school once too, ya know."

     Peter sighed—sounding suspiciously relieved. "Oh—yeah, wow, that's...kinda what I was gonna say."

"Don't worry. I'll kinda be workin' anyway. You just do your thing—May told me you could use a break. I'll...be cool. Cool?"

"Cool," Peter echoed, nodding a bit. He went in for an awkward high five. Gavin humored him, trying to keep himself from grinning.

If someone asked Gavin to guess Spider-Man's secret identity, Peter'd probably be one of the last names on his list. But knowing what he did, it was just flat out strange—the whole thing.

"Alright, yeah—May already told you she's gotta work tomorrow morning, right? So it's just gonna be me and you on the way to the airport. That's okay?"

"Yeah—yeah, that's okay," Peter forced his hands deeper into his pockets. "I'm almost done packing, so I should you know—do that—"

"Don't strain yourself, Pete." Gavin offered a small smile—as genuine as he could make it. "I'll see you tomorrow morning, alright?"

"Uh, yeah—okay." Peter hesitated for a moment, then hurried down the hall and disappeared into the safety of his room.

Gavin watched him go. "Oh, this'll be good. Thanks, Fury," he mumbled.

 Thanks, Fury," he mumbled