Chapter 8

Carlisle speeds over to the bookshelf and begins to search. After a few moments, he raises an eyebrow.

"I can't find my book, but immortal children were very beautiful, so enchanting." He turns around, explaining. "To be near them was to love them. But their development was frozen at the age they were turned, they couldn't be taught or restrained. A single tantrum could destroy an entire village. Humans heard about the devastation. Stories spread like wildfire. The Volturi were forced to intervene. And since the children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed. Their creators had grown very attached, so they fought to protect them. Long established covens were torn apart, countless humans slaughtered. Traditions, friends, even families...lost."

I bite my lip and glances up at Jasper before looking at Carlisle again.

"So the Denalis mother made an immortal child?"

He nods once. "Yes. And she paid the price."

"Charlotte is nothing like those children." I shake my head. "She was born...Not bitten. She grows everyday."

"So can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Seth asks, glancing at everyone.

Jasper shakes his head. "Aro has enough proof in Irina's thoughts."

"So we fight." Seth shrugs.

"Their offensive weapons are too powerful." Jasper looks at him. "No one could stand against Jane."

"Alec's even worse." Alice chimes in.

"Then we convince them. I'm not losing my daughter." I hold her close even if she is already in my arms.

"They're coming to kill us...Not to talk." Emmett looks up.

"No, you're right." Edward stands up from the piano. "They won't listen to us. But maybe others can convince them. Carlisle, we have friends all around the world."

"I don't ask them to fight." Carlisle shakes his head.

"Not fight, witness." Edward says, before looking at Jasper.

"He's right! If enough people knew the truth, maybe we can convince the Volturi to listen." Jasper smiles slightly at Edward.

"We can ask this of our friends." Esme nods.

Carlisle thinks for a moment then nods. At that, everyone speeds to their rooms to start packing. Seth runs home to pack for himself after asking Sue if he was allowed. She agreed as long as we kept him safe. She completely understands him wanting to go since we are talking about Charlotte here. Since she is his imprint and the granddaughter of Charlie, she knows she couldn't stop him anyway.

We hear footsteps on the back porch causing everyone to go outside. Sam is walking toward us with a smile.

"Uncle Sam!" Charlotte yells and runs toward him.

He bends down and picks her up, swinging her slightly.

"How's my favorite hybrid?" He chuckles.

"Good!" she giggles and hugs him.

He hugs her back and kisses her head before putting her on his hip. He glances over at Jasper and I before handing a note to Carlisle.

"Alice asked me to give you that. She and Kevin crossed our lands to the ocean last night."

He fixes Charlotte so she's comfortable on his hip while Carlisle reads the note. He sighs and looks over at us.

"They've left us." He whispers but everyone hears him.