05

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐅𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 filtered through the open window in my room, spreading across me

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐅𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 filtered through the open window in my room, spreading across me. The warmth made me smile, and I turned onto my side, my arm spilling out over the edge of my bed. My eyes flutter open and I suck in a deep breath, the salty sea air stinging my lungs. It was an amazing morning, but a loud bang quickly turned it sour. 

Shooting out of my bed, I slipped on the blanket that was left on the ground. Whoever left them there was going to get their butts kicked today. I slammed into the wooden ground, pain erupting through my back. My eyesight went dark for a second before the sunlight broke through the haze. 

"Raya!" 

There was a thundering noise, but I wasn't sure if it was my heartbeat in my ears or someone running toward me. My head was swimming and it hurt to breathe, but I did so anyway. My body needed the air, no matter how much it hurt. The cool wooden floor pressed into my cheek, chilling me to the bone. The sun didn't reach down this far, so it wasn't warm anymore. 

"Raya," a boy said. My eyesight cleared a little and I saw a fuzzy-looking person crouching in front of me. It was a boy, and he had a concerned look on his face. "Raya, are you okay?"

Reaching forward, I gripped his shirt in my hand. I pulled him closer to me before snapping, "Why did you leave my blanket on the floor?"

"I didn't leave your blanket on the floor," he said, Tahno's face clearing up. Instead of the concerned look on his face, a frown was in its place. "You had it there for days, remember?"

"No." Slowly sitting up with his help, I said, "I never leave my room a mess. You're the messy one, Tahno, not me."

"Stop trying to blame me for things you did." Tahno gripped my arm in his strong hand, squeezing hard. "You did the same thing when I came home. You blamed me for ruining the teapot when I know for a fact you did that. I didn't even have tea yesterday!"

"Blah, blah, blah," I said, rolling my eyes. That was a bad idea. My head grew dizzy and I started swinging back and forth. Tahno wrapped his arm around my shoulder, steadying my movements. "You lie all the time, Tahno."

He made a strangled noise, fervently shaking his head. His wet hair was curled at the ends, falling into his eyes. I brushed it away for him, making his eyes soften slightly. "You never answered my question, Raya. Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine." Pushing off of him, I tried standing up. My one hand stayed on his shoulder while the other one flailed, trying to reach for my bed. There was pressure in my head as I stood up, and my back ached across my shoulder blades. Tahno stood up with me, holding onto me as I teetered back and forth. "Okay, I may not be fine. You hurt me, Tahno, by keeping the blanket on the floor."

"Raya," Tahno said, his voice sounding annoyed. "You did that, I swear."

Snickering, I said, "I know I did it. I just wanted to make you angry."