I.R.T.

"Your change is 6.39. Here is your receipt. Listen closely for your number that's printed on the bottom. You can wait over here to pick up your food." I explained as I pointed to space at the other end of the counter. 

"I don't see your number down here. Unless it's the 90s and that's your beeper number?" The customer said.

I grabbed the receipt to check, even though this is my first day on the register, I know I followed the instructions correctly.

"Now 58 is correct, sir," I said as I handed him back the long piece of paper.

He looked down at it and then back at me before staring at me.

"Sir, please slide over, the line is backing up," I explained to him.

He looked at the receipt again before nodding and moving away.

"Here you are sir, enjoy," I said as I handed him his food bag.

He grabbed the bag.

I went back over to the register, ready to close up as it was my turn to work the fryer in the back.

As I was closing up, I could see the guy, who was my first customer when I got up here, was still here. I tried not to look at him.

I heard him humming and I knew he was watching me.

Customer courtesy said that I should ask if he needed anything but I didn't want to go back over to him.

I was counting my register as I heard him humming and the more I ignored it, the more and louder he hummed.

I'm not trying to mess up YB's grandmama's place.

But this n**** is trying ME.

"I've gotta hold on, hold on to my receipt. Just to redeem your love, that's exactly what I need."

Okay, I'm done.

I closed the register and walked away.

I took my name tag off put it in my locker and then put on my apron and hat preparing to work the fryer.

I like it back here, I can eat the messed up orders which was usually fries or canceled orders.

I walked to the fryer area.

I put my gloves on and started up my fryer, watching the grease bubble up.

"Joey, what you on?"
Benny said pressed up tightly against me trapping me between him and the hot bubbling grease.

Oh, fuck.