chapter eight

september

Dear Jude,

Your brother got sorted into Hufflepuff, though I imagine he's told you already. I'm not too surprised, based on what you've told me about him.

School is exactly as I remember it being - other than a ton of work, there's a lot more pressure, thanks to my cousins and housemates. It feels like any wrong move I make will be reported back to my parents - I hate it. Sometimes, I think it'd be easier if I were more like Sirius. He doesn't care about anyone but himself, which seems like the easiest route to take, in terms of wanting to meet everyone's expectations.

Speaking of the devil himself, he tried to talk to me at breakfast a few days ago. I tried talking to him, which is what I think you would have done. I couldn't stand looking at him, though. He seemed so much lighter, and while I wanted to be happy for him, I'm still so angry at him. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

You've started school again, haven't you? How is it?

Sincerely,

Regulus

Dear Regulus,

First of all, your owl is an asshole. I was going to wait until later today to write a response, but after napping for about twenty minutes (on top of my desk, no less!) your blasted bird began to peck me until I sat down to write this.

I heard about my brother - from what you've told me about the houses, Hufflepuff doesn't seem all that impressive. Still, he's made some good friends with his housemates, so I suppose he's doing okay. If it were me, I would've hoped to be put in Ravenclaw, but alas I'm nothing but a boring muggle.

I'm sorry you're feeling so much pressure, but I don't think your brother's way is best. It's much better to care, because some things are worth caring about. Not everything, mind you, such as the opinions of your parents - only you can decide who you should be, Reg.

I did start school again - it's a bore, unsurprisingly. A couple of my friends asked after you, wanted to know if you'd be at the next party. Guess you made a good impression :) I told them you were busy at your posh boarding school, though.

Speaking of school, I already have an exam to study for. It's over the book we read this summer, which I haven't even thought of since June, so I have to crack that open again.

Later,

Jude