Bitter Discovery

Third person POV

Arthur was walking down the rainbow colored streets of Hamlyn Village looking for the place he was told to go to by the lesser known chemist. He had told the tall man that he needed something delivered to a very well known chemist who lived not too far from the main entrance to the village.

Reluctantly, he agreed to do so. Though he couldn't shake the feeling that he knew the brilliant man known as Dr. Thompson. He's heard of the name before, he just can't remember where.

Once he had reached the front door of the tall brick building that had a neon sign of the name of the place, he knocked to get the attention of the man who was inside only for the door to open slightly on it's own. Hesitantly, Arthur carefully made his way inside the house and shut the door behind him. However, when he turned around he was suprised to see the place in shambles. Things where strung about in different directions and it looked as if a storm went through the place.

"H-hello? Dr. Thompson!" Arthur stuttered out. "I'm here to deliver you a package!"

Getting no response, he then decided to  make his way through the messy home, looking for any signs of where the intelligent man was. As he walked down the hallway, he noticed the pictures that where hanging on the wall. Some of them where turned backwards as if they weren't ment to be seen.

"It looks like he is in the army. But if that's it, what is he doing here in the village?" Arthur wondered to himself. He took a closer look at one of the pictures. He noticed a young man with black hair and green eyes. He was wearing a lab coat that was pure white. Behind him was someone else but the face of the person was ripped out. The more Arthur looked at the man in the picture, the more he recognized him.

"Bloody hell... that's.... that's Mr. Thompson! He used to look after me and Percy when Dad didn't have time to watch us. He was more of a father figure than our actual Dad." Even though Arthur's memories where still a bit fucked up,but he managed to remember another important person that was a part of his childhood.

He then slowly walked further down the hallway until he reached a set of stairs that went down. "Maybe he's still here. Maybe he's down there somewhere." He mumbled with hope in his voice.

Though as he decended down the stairs, the weight on his chest began to grow even more heavier as he went down. He finally reached the bottom of the stairs where he was then greeted by a door that was completely broken down and then he entered the lab. The room was dimly lit by the few lamps that where still in working condition, and most of the lab equipment was almost unbothered except a few glass tubes and some of the main drawer that was used to store important chemicals. Some artwork that was hanging on the walls where either torn up or knocked onto the floor. He then noticed a tape recorder sitting on the desk that had an old cup of coffee sitting next to it. Arthur walked up to the desk and pressed the play button.

"This is the last log that I will ever be making. So to whoever finds this, your lucky...I guess." A deep and exhausted voice came from the speaker. Arthur could only stare in shock and slight worry of the man on the tape's well being. The tape continued on.

"Anyways, the date is...uh...I...can't remember what day it is. I've lost track at this point." There was shuffling of papers in the background. Signaling the he was looking through papers that where on his desk. "I think that Dr. Verloc is getting more agitated with me not giving him any advanced chemicals and equipment to "help" him with his "research". He's been sending those Doctor bastards to my door more than usual."

Arthur sat down in the chair as he kept on quietly listening to what he had to say. Jameson went on about how people where getting suspicious about him and how he thinks they might be figuring out that he was off his Joy. Soon, Jameson let out a shaky sigh, as if he was trying his hardest not to get too emotional. The older man let out a dry laugh. "I have so many regrets you know. I have so many things that I need to say to...to Arthur...to Percy...even to Sally as well. Hell, I don't even know if they are even alive still." He stopped himself as he silently cried. After a few seconds he spoke through his sadness. "I wish I could apologize for what happened. When the Germans took the kids." He then cleared his throat so he could speak more clearly. "I tried to convince General Byng to try and fight back against them. He lied to me and said that he would do everything in his power to stop the horrendous act that was being committed...not only that...but the tanks, the fucking tanks where fake!" Arthur jumped as he heard the loud bang that was made when the other man slammed his fist onto the table out of anger.

Arthur could slightly hear the banging and the shouting from the other side of the lab door. "Fuck, they're here. Damnit. LEAVE ME ALONE YOU BASTARDS!" The sound of the door breaking down and yelling was all Arthur heard when the tape abruptly ended. His shaking breaths filled the silence of the room that was once filled with noise. He didn't say a word. He couldn't believe what he had just listened too. The only real parental figure that he actually cared about was gone. The man who was always there  for them when thier own fucking father wasn't was gone.

He then looked at the space next to the recorder and saw a note. He picked it up and read it.

"I am sorry for all that has happened. This is goodbye. For now atleast."
     -J.T.