A Desperate Man

"Lysander declared he would purge the human race for its impurity and start anew. He caused what would be called the Great Ruination in Lumiose, the most controversial and influential terrorist attack in Kalos's history." 

   So it says in the history books. Lysander's posse, Team Flare, abandoned their 'divine purpose' when he died. The followers that weren't captured scattered to the winds and left behind their handiwork, a destroyed Lumiose City, to be cleaned up by those not responsible. 

   At the expense of a plethora of overworked Pokemons' lives, Lumiose City made a quick rebound. As the capital of Kalos's trade and economy, Lumiose's swift recovery was essential for Kalos to return to normalcy. However, the tragedy of the Pokemon is rarely discussed in Lumiose. It's a highly controversial topic that would shatter any polite conversation since the survivors' guilt still hangs thick a year later. 

   To the rest of the world, Lumiose is no longer the topic of pity since it has bounced back with vigor. Fragment by fragment, it's becoming the renowned "peak of Kalos" again. The curt city attitude has reappeared, children no longer cling to their mothers when outside, and the wind isn't burdened with the smell of rust and ash.

   However, the reputation of Kalos's security was dragged through the mud. The most stinging backlash was when networks renamed Lysander's attack "the Great Humiliation". To regain respect and faith in their system, the authorities declared a purge of their own by seizing all documented Team Flare warehouses and bases. Their initiative helped spark a crime purge across Kalos that brought other crime organizations to their knees. The government mirrored the people's efforts by passing new laws and regulations, known collectively as "The New Law", which hindered the black market business. 

   The drastic drop in crime rate was staggering. To commemorate this accomplishment, Lumiose Tower was only repaired to the point where it was structurally sound. The building's surface, most notably the cracked indents where the Great Ruination left its mark, were left untouched. To hammer in the metaphor, a plaque was placed at the base of the tower to read: "We are changed, but not destroyed." 

   The same can be said about Kalos's crime syndicates. The crime purge destroyed old syndicates, but this only encouraged more aggressive crime maneuvering as new businesses clawed their way to the top of the black market. Whispers of the new criminal wave eventually reached the authorities, but mere rumor isn't a solid foundation for investigation. The most unsettling hearsay is that since buyers have grown scarce, the new wave has invested in a more profitable, but dangerous business.

   Kalos's reformed security is about to be tested.

   Arlen impatiently drums his fingers on the table. Yet another waiter from the restaurant approaches him, but he shoos them off with a brisk wave. They're not hounding him for his order since his meal, now cold, has already been served. No, they're encouraging him to leave. However, he won't leave until he eats, and he won't eat until his guest arrives, since that would be rude.

   Arlen can't afford to be rude.

   His company's absence is a statement as to why: Arlen's degraded from a chooser to a beggar. His guest is testing how long he's willing to wait, to remind him of his desperation and lack of power. However, if all goes well with his guest, he'll be privileged enough to spit on them as a pastime. Immunity from his crimes will be an added bonus.

   He finally catches sight of the fool who's now fashionably late. The man's oversized, tilted fedora is his distinguishing trait. The waiter gladly escorts him to the table. Arlen stands up to shake the snob's gloved hand, but the man has the audacity to ignore his polite gesture. Perhaps Arlen should pop him upside the head and knock off that ridiculous headwear. No, better not.