39:REFUGEES

JESSICA

"So,where is it?" I asked after probably ten minutes of walking,well,following Daniel.

"Be patient,will you?" He chuckled. I was sure I had asked that question three times in the past ten minutes but honestly. It really wasn't thrilling walking in the darkness after what had just happened.

"Is it still far from here?" I asked again.

"No, we're almost there."

"But Daniel,you've been saying that for so long,I'm tired." I complained.

I heard him sigh before answering,"Jessica,I know and I'm sorry. I promise we're almost there,"he said.

I was being unnecessarily unfair to him,I knew but i was just so mad that she was the one on his back. I couldn't care less if we dragged her. There was nothing to be jealous about, I mean,they weren't even kissing, not that they would,they loathed each other. Why did I even care? Just one kiss and I had become like this!

"I know,I'm sorry." I said.

"So,what do you think we should do with her?" Daniel asked.

"I don't know,I was thinking of typing her up,maybe buy a birch rod and beat the shi out of her," I laughed as I said that.

"Sounds like a good idea." He laughed too.

"Jessica, if you don't mind me asking,why do you hate her?" Daniel asked after a brief silence.

"What did she do to you?"

Wow. Where could I even begin? I had been around long enough to know that it wasn't sage to recall the past. I didn't have the scars so I saw no need to talk about it. I was going to close that chapter of my life soon.

"I can't talk about it." I hoped he understood. He more than anyone knew what it's like to be pulled back into the very same black hole you've been trying to get out of.

"Whenever you're ready,"he said to me.

"Sure,"I didn't think I ever would though.

"This is it,"he said.

"Well?" I couldn't see anything.

"Can you please just hold her hand for a second? Don't let go of her hand,"he said as he finally put Camberley down.

"Sure,"I said as I watched his fingers clear away the soil off the forest floor. He removed a little vegetation cover too and I couldn't be more confused before he finally wrapped his fingers around what looked like a door knob.

"Wow,"I muttered in amusement.

"I know right?" He smiled,"come on,get inside."

Camberley and I got in first and what welcomed us was the living room. On our left was a small kitchen and a short passage that led to a locked door which I assumed was the bedroom.

"Make yourself comfortable, I have to take care of something first." Daniel said and I couldn't resist.

I dragged Camberley's weak body to the living room carpet which felt plush under my feet.

"You will pay for this," Camberley muttered under her breath and I couldn't hold back my laughter. Now she looked even more ridiculous.

"Oh,Camberley. It's over,just accept it." I said to her.

"It's not over until I say so,I should've killed you when I had the chance," she fumed.

"You should've, look what you've done to me. Look what you've turned me into,a killer and I will kill you now that I have the chance."