Chapter 4

It was already evening. Maria (the old woman) and Malcolm were sitting in front of the fire in the hut. The boy was wearing only his kilt and stuck a stick into the fire. Maria smiled and held the slumbering Angus in her arms. Then, as so often, she discovered the locket hanging around Malcolm's neck and dangling in the center of his chest.

"Where did you get that from, darling?" She asked. Malcolm turned and looked at her.

"What do you mean, Maria?" Malcolm asked, puzzled.

"The necklace around your neck. It's a very beautiful and certainly expensive locket."

"That ..." Malcolm looked at the round pendant and smiled weakly. "My mom gave it to me. That should always remind me of who I really am. Whenever I wear this necklace, she's with me and helps me." The older woman smiled at the boy.

"Who are you really, Malcolm? You're not an easy country boy who's been cast out by his parents." Malcolm swallowed and looked into the crackling fire. She looked at the boy's little back because she was sitting on a chair at the table.

"I'm Prince Malcolm Mitchell Young." Malcolm said quietly. "And this is my brother. Prince Angus McKinnon Young." He pointed at Angus. Maria's eyes widened. "We were banished from home because there is now a new king who is afraid that we might take our throne back." A tear ran down his cheek. "I didn't care about the throne. I just wanted to stay with Mom." Maria smiled weakly, got up and sat down on the fur, on the floor on which Malcolm was also sitting. She caressed his bare shoulder.

"I know, darling. Sometimes things happen in life that we don't want. But we can't change the past. What you can actually change is your future, Malcolm." Malcolm smiled a little, turned and looked down at Angus, who was now crawling between the two of them. Angus had learned to crawl pretty quickly and now he was just everywhere. On the table, on the floor, in front of the fire. You always had to keep an eye on him. Angus crawled over to his brother and raised his hands. Malcolm giggled and lifted him in his arms. Angus grinned at him with a tooth. Malcolm tickled Angus' stomach. Angus giggled.

"Malolm." Malcolm stopped and looked at Maria with wide eyes. Maria smiled and brushed a few small curls from Angus' face.

"Did he just ..."

"Malolm!" Angus exclaimed unhappily, looking at his brother almost a little angrily. Malcolm giggled and looked down at him.

"What's the matter, Angus? Mh? Do you need something?"

"Malolm." Angus whispered, brushing the wet tear from Malcolm's cheek. Malcolm froze. Angus was a baby! He couldn't possibly understand what this was about! Angus snuggled into the fabric of Malcolm's tartan skirt and played with the locket on Malcolm's chest. Malcolm smiled a little and held him to himself.

"I love you." Malcolm whispered softly, hugging the boy. Maria watched smiling.

*

It was summer now and Maria was teaching Malcolm as much as she could. Malcolm was out in the yard tending the pigs when he heard a loud squeak. He turned around and saw Maria coming out the door with Angus in her arms. She carefully set Angus down on the grass a meter from Malcolm's feet, then took his hands. She helped him slowly to stand up.

"Come on, Angus. Show him what you showed me." Maria grinned. Angus took a clumsy step. His eyes lit up and he looked up at Malcolm, giggling. Malcolm smiled. Tears ran down his cheeks. He put aside the bucket he was holding in his hand. Angus took another step. Malcolm opened his arms.

"Come to me, Angus. Come on." He smiled. Angus gurgled excitedly.

"Malolm!" He shrieked as he took another shaky step. Malcolm and Maria grinned at each other. Maria held the little boy's hands.