Chapter Two: Introductions

"Pipe it, Shuck-face." Alby grunted, pulling newt down to sit beside him.

I made my way and stood behind newt and alby. Eager to see more of Thomas.

"At least he can understand half my words." Alby said to newt. There was a few scattered laughs but they ceased when i sent the crowd a glare. For some reason some of the boys are still scared of me. I dont know why, im a nice person..... for some reason i think it may be they think if they stand up to me Newt will attack them like he did Noah and Jake.

Alby spread his arms out, palms up."this place is called the Glade, all right? It's where we live, where we eat, where we sleep— we call ourselves the Gladers. That's all you—"

"Who sent me here?" Thomas asked, interrupting Alby. I could immediately tell Alby was not happy at the interruption. "How'd—"

Thomas didn't get to finish. Albys hand shot out, grabbing Thomas by the shirt "get up, shank, get up" Alby ordered. Alby stood pulling thomas up with him.

Thomas was terrified, anyone could tell. He finally got his feet under him. He backed up to the tree trying to get away from alby, but to no avail. Alby stayed gripped to thomas and his face was right up in Thomas's.

"No interruptions, Boy!" Alby shouted.

"Alby stop!" I jumped up(well the best i can with my hurt leg)  and yelled, but he ignored me and kept talking.

"Whacker, if we told you everything, you'd die on the spot, right after you klunked your pants. Baggers'd drag you off, an you ain't no good to us then, are ya?"

I was about to hobble up and intervene when newt stopped me. He sent me a look that said he'd stop alby.

"I dont even know what you're talking about." Thomas said, his voice surprisingly steady.

Newt reached out and grabbed alby by the shoulder "Alby, lay off a bit. You're hurtin' more than helpin', ya know?"

Alby let go off thomas and backed away. "Ain't got time to be nice, Greenbean. Old life's over, new life's begun. Learn the rules quick, listen, don't talk. You get me?"

Thomas glanced at me and newt, obviously looking for help.

Newt nodded "Greenie, you get him, right?" Newt said as he nodded again. Clearly telling Thomas to agree with Alby. Thomas looked at me and i made a hand gesture basically telling him to talk and say yes.

"Yeah." Thomas finally said.

"Good that." Alby said "First day. Thats what today is for you, shank. Runners'll be back soon. The box came late today, ain't got time for the tour. Tomorrow morning, right after wake up." Alby turned to newt "get him a bed, get him to sleep"

"Good that" Newt replied.

Alby turned back to Thomas. "A few weeks, you'll be happy, shank. You'll be happy and helpin'. None of us knew jack on first day, you neither. New life begins tomorrow." And with that Alby walked away, pushing through the crowd of boys, who was already wandering off, and back to the homestead.

I sighed and ran my hand through my long dark hair. "Good thing thats over." I mumbled.

Newt sent me a small smirk and then turned back to Thomas when he spoke.

"What did i do?" Thomas whispered "what did i do—why'd they send me here?"

Newt clapped him on the shoulder "greenie, what you feelin', we've all felt it. We've all had first day, come out of a dark box. Things are bad, they are, and they'll get much worse for ya soon, thats the truth. But down the road a piece, you'll be fightin' true and good. I can tell you're not a bloody sissy"

"Is this a prison?" Thomas asked.

I hesitated to say anything. I mean, its not that bad a place once ya get used to it, but still. We don't want to be here forever.

"Done asked four questions, haven't ya?" Newt replied. I could tell he didn't know what to say either. "No good answers for ya, not yet, anyway. Best be quite now, accept the change— morn comes tomorrow."

Thomas said nothing.

I leaned over to newt "chuck?" I whispered in his ear.

Newt nodded and then turned back to Thomas. "Chuck'll be a good fit for ya." He said "wee little fat shank, but nice sap when alls said and done. Em, stay here with him, ill be back."

I nodded but newt barely got his sentence out before a scream filled the air. I looked at newt and his eyes met mine. Ben.

"Shuck it," newt said "can't the bloody Med-jacks handle that boy for ten minutes without needin' my help" he shook his head and kicked thomas lightly on the foot "find Chuckie, tell him he's in charge of your sleepin' arrangements." Newt turned from thomas to me. He gave me quick kiss on the cheek which made me smile and ran to the homestead.

Thomas sat back down on the ground and looked up at me "Is he your Boyfriend?" He asked.

I smirked "it's complicated." I didn't exactly know if we we're actually together or not. We've never called each other boyfriend or girlfriend.

"Are you the only girl?" Thomas asked.

"Man, you're full of questions" i said "but yeah. I am."

He nodded "when did you get here?" He asked

"Umm, about 2 months ago. I came before chuck and chuck came right before you." I said. I can't believe its only been two months. It felt like forever ago.

"What was that scream?" Thomas asked.

I rolled my eyes "Thomas, you ask to many questions" i said, but i knew I slipped up.

"How do you know my name?" He asked. He obviously was confused.

"You must have said it. Anyway i got to go. Ill talk to ya later." I said. I quickly turned and walked away with my crutches to the homestead.
As i walked i saw chuck. "Hey chuck!" I called. He saw me and walked over. "Can you go to the greenie. You're in charge of his sleeping arrangements." I said

He nodded. "Ok. How are you doing?" He asked

"You see me every day, chuck. Im ok though. Thanks for asking. He's over at that tree over there." I said and walked to the homestead. I walked up to my room and plopped down on the bed, swinging my leg up to let it rest. I get the cast taken off tomorrow. Finally.

I eventually drifted off to sleep.