There For The Taking

We walked through the crowded streets. Our mother had sent us out for a few groceries. Carter was holding my hand, almost running to keep up with me. I urged him on faster so we could get back home.

After leaving the store, I turned down an alley. I knew it would get us home faster. Two huge shadows were looming ahead of us. I stopped walking and began to turn around. A large hand clamped down on my shoulder and began dragging me backwards. Carter was out of my sight in seconds. I tried to scream but another hand wrapped around my mouth.

Sherlock's phone was ringing off the hook. I sat in a robe at the table eating my breakfast. I looked at the phone. I glanced at Sherlock.

"Aren't you going to get that?" I asked.

"Aren't you going to be late for work?" he shot back. I folded the newspaper and stood up to get ready for work. The phone rang again.

"Sherlock, you should really pick that up, it could be important." I said. Sherlock glanced at me and rolled his eyes. He reached for the phone. I left the room to get my clothes on.

"Hello? Yes, this is he. You got a what? Ok well my partner and I usually work on cases like these together, so could you come by later tonight? Fabulous!" Sherlock clicked the off button and looked at me. "Happy?"

"Estatic" I said as I walked out the room.

Later that night I walked into our flat carrying food from the closest restaurant to my work. Sherlock was a picky eater, but I got him something too, just in case he was hungry.

"Sherlock?" I called out.

"We're in here, John" he responded. I sat the food down on the kitchen table and walked into the living room. A man and woman sat on the couch opposite Sherlock. They seemed rich. I nodded politely at them.

"John, this is James and Bella Arlington. James and Bella, this is my partner John Watson."

Sherlock motioned for me to sit down beside him.

"So what has brought you to us?" I asked.

"We've recieved these strange letters in the mail. About our sons." Bella said, pulling out a few envelopes and handing them to me. I took them and skimmed, then handed them to Sherlock.

"So they have your sons. They'll most likely be sending a ransom note soon." Sherlock said, handing the notes back.

"Where were your sons when they disappeared?" I asked.

"They were at boarding school. We figured we had enough money, why not get them the best education possible?" James said. I nodded.

"Have you contacted the school about this?" Sherlock asked. James and Bella looked at each other and then back at Sherlock and I. "I figured you didn't. That will be our next step" he handed them his phone and they entered the number. Sherlock took the phone back and held it up to his ear. I stood, excusing myself and went to the kitchen to get my food.

"Yes, I'm calling about a missing persons case. Yes. Well, their names are" he looked over at James and he mouthed the names "Gregory and Charles Arlington. Excuse me? What? There have been no reports? Well, could you please check on the students I've named? Put them on the phone. Now." Sherlock handed the phone to Bella.

"Hello? Greg? Charlie? Oh dear! You're ok? Thank heavens!" Bella started crying and I moved back into the kitchen to continue eating.

"Thank you Mr. Holmes." James said as they were leaving the flat.