Déjà vu

"I wanted to ask you about something," I say.

"What is your question?"

"What's a Flamekeeper?"

Lexa hesitated for a moment, as if to consider if she should tell me or not.

After a moment of thought, she finally replies.

"A Flamekeeper devotes their lives to ensuring the succession and safety of the Flame. They serve as teachers and spiritual guides of the Commanders, like me. Titus is my current Flamekeeper, he has taught me how to be a Commander my whole life," Lexa explains, watching my eyes carefully for my reaction.

"What's the Flame?" I ask her, like an inquisitive child.

She sighs.

"I shouldn't be telling you this, Clarke," she says before shooting a worrying look at the door.

"Lexa, I want to know."

"You must keep this information to yourself."

I nod, my eyes widening.

"It is an artificial intelligence chip that contains the spirits of the past Commanders. It was created by Becca Pramheda, the first Commander. I have it implanted in the back of my neck, like the other Commanders did. That way, the spirits of the past Commanders can pass on their wisdom and help guide me. When I die, my spirit will be passed into the Flame, ready for the next Commander," she whispers, making sure that no one else heard even though it was only us in the room.

"You have a fucking chip in the back of your neck?" I exclaim, pulling my chair closer.

Before she could answer, I stand up and sit on the arm of her chair, pulling her hair to one shoulder while looking around for any signs of the implant.

Instead, I find an infinity tattoo.

"This is beautiful," I say, my thumb tracing circles on the tattoo

"I got it on my ascension day."

Still rubbing the tattoo with my thumb, I notice how soft her skin is. Her upper back and shoulders are exposed due to her comfortable black gown, allowing me to truly examine her back tattoos.

"What about these ones?" I ask, referring to her long back tattoo that goes down her spine.