Chapter 4: As the world caves in (15x20)

When Cas woke in the empty he was surprised to say the least.
How long had it been? It felt like no time had passed at all. He could have been asleep for eons and he wouldn't know. Sam and Dean long dead, Jack... unknown. One second ago he was confessing and saying his goodbye, the other he woke up, here.

He slowly raised himself to his feet and looked around. It was intimidating to stare into the void. He stared at nothing and everything at the same time. He could keep walking forever and never meet an end. That line of thought scared him. What if he never fell asleep again? Would he go insane?

Cas flinched away from his thoughts as a loud voice echoed through the void.

"UGH WHO WOKE ME UP THIS TIME?!"
The empty was pissed. He could feel it in his head.

He let out a pained gasp as the angel radio turned on.
He could feel his brothers, his sisters. They were awake. All of them. Thousands of panicked angels spewing questions that no one had answers to.

Why are we awake? What is going on? Where are you brothers and sisters? Did I die? Where are we? How long has it been? How do we get out?

It pained him, hearing all their voices again. He knew he was the cause some of them had died and he felt guilty every day.

"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT ITT" The empty yelled in frustration.
"FUCKING WINCHESTERS I BET! I SWEAR TO GOD I HATE IT HERE" It's voice boomed through his skull.

Sam and Dean were alive? Cas perked up, maybe he could find a way to go back. Surely the empty wouldn't be able to hold millions of awake angels, demons and reapers? Sam and Dean must have done something to wake them all up. It wasn't just a coincidence.

"Hello Castiel." He turned around to see that it was Crowley, looking the exact same as he did when he died. He was... happy to see him. He liked to think Crowley had warmed up to him.

"Crowley" Cas greeted with a small smile.

"In the end we both died for our boys didn't we? They stick to you... like parasites."

He agreed, but he wouldn't use that word.
"What is going on?" Cas asked him.

"I don't know feathers. You're the one who lived for longer, you tell me."

Cas frowned and watched Crowley sit on nothing. How...? Did he do that?

"ONE OF THOSE DAMN GODS BETTER FIX THEIR MESS"

The empty rumbled, its hold on them was weakening. He could've sworn he heard a thunder just a second ago. If he listened closely he could hear howling wind and rain. Except there couldn't be wind or any kind of weather in the empty.

There was a bright flicker of light and for a second he stood in the middle of an enormous storm. One like no other he had ever seen. It wasn't impressive in it's size, but in its pure absurdity. It seemed to bend space and time around it. Cas doubted humans would even be able to witness it. Speaking of humans... His breath hitched as he noticed Sam and Dean standing in front of him with their backs turned.

"Dean!" he wanted to call out, but as soon as he reached out, they disappeared.

Cas was left disappointed. He turned in a circle, searching for an opening. Anything to return. Was he hallucinating? Was the Empty torturing him? No question that it hated him.

"You saw them too right?" Cas asked carefully.

"I did." Crowley said, adjusting his tie and straightening his jacket. Both had gotten ruffled by the storm. "So how is mother? Still a bitch? Oh wait... I mean witch."