Chapter 1

I wrote this story for a school project and thought I would upload it. It's kinda lame but whatever. So enjoy!

Trees soared past us as we ran through the Scydliath forest. The steady beat of the dragon Emara’s giant wings above us sounded like rolls of thunder crashing. The Dragon Keeper Laxis’ breathing was slow and steady, as if he were no more than walking. 

We were running down the wide trail faster then humanly possible.

In our hasty retreat from our mountainous home country of Trestaria, we packed little food and water. 

We were now fifteen leagues away from Trestaria and my legs felt as though they contained no bone. Hoping we would soon stop, I glanced around at the world as it flashed by. Not many animals had shown themselves. The sound of our footfalls had scared them away into their holes and caves. 

My name is Esboney Lightningsword, daughter of Cyemr, King of Trestaria. I am seventeen years old and part elf. 

“Let’s rest,” Laxis yelled over another beat of Emara’s wings. 

We slowed to a stop and collapsed under a Uptandia tree. Emara glided down to a clearing fifteen feet in front of us and curled up to rest. 

Laxis pulled out half a loaf of bread and two apples for us to eat. 

We sat in silence for a short while, the only sound being Emara’s heavy breathing and the soft chirp of the birds perched high in the trees. The sky, or what we could see through the thick cover of trees, was a deep blue. The sun was shining bright, even though it was early morning.

“We should reach the plains of Hitenzal in three days time. Our food should last but I’m not sure if Emara will be able to hold up,” said Laxis, interrupting the silence.

I averted my gaze to look at Emara’s sleeping face. 

“King Gepredice will be expecting us.” Laxis continued. “Queen Islazdi sent word before we left Trestaria.” 

The sound of my mother’s name sent a pang of despair through my body. Before Laxis, Emara and I had left Trestaria, my mother and I had gotten into an argument about me going to help King Gepredice with all the thieves in his country.

“It will be too dangerous,” my mother had said.

“But mother I must! I can not abandon Laxis and Emara,” I argued.

“Esboney please,” she begged.

“No mother, I am going, there is nothing you can say to change my mind.” With this I had stormed out of my mother quarters.

It pained me to leave my mother like this, but I had to fulfill my duty. 

“I hope all is well. Having to travel and fight all the time is tiring,” I said, staring at the ground.

“I’m sure they will let us rest before sending us off again,” said Laxis

I nodded in acknowledgment but stayed silent.

We sat in silence for what seemed like hours, listening to the birds chirping  above unaware of us below them, before Laxis stood up and helped me up off the ground. He then went and woke Emara with a soft whisper in her ear. 

She woke with a start, ready and alert for any possible danger.

“All is well Emara. We were just getting ready to head off,” Laxis reassured her.

“Thank you, young one,” Emara said standing up and stretching her big muscles. 

It’s true Laxis was quiet young. He was a mere seventeen years old, but he knew how to take care of himself. Both his parents died during the battle of Jecarao when he was just two years of age. He lived with his mother’s cousin for most of his life until, a mysterious traveler known as Jasada appeared in his home village of Kuhnlan when he was fifteen. He was the one to give Laxis Emara’s egg. Since then, he had traveled with me across Jasria, keeping peace within the cities. Just recently, my mother had recruited us to work for her as spies in enemy cities. She was hesitant when I asked but agreed when she remembered my vast experience. It was dangerous work. If we were to be caught we could have been killed or, worse, taken hostage.

As Laxis gathered our things and filled our water skins in a nearby river, I wandered out of the clearing and into a small cluster of trees.

The dry leaves crunched under my feet as I walked further away from Laxis and Emara.

A bird flew down from the top of a tree and landed on a branch beside my head. It chirped once. Twice. Three times before I noticed it had something tied to its leg.

It was a note. 

I heard Laxis yell something back in the clearing but I couldn’t understand what he said.

“Laxis!” I yelled. There was no reply.

I reached up and the bird jumped on my hand. I carefully untied the string holding the note to the birds tiny leg. As I unravelled the rolled up note the bird flew off, chirping happily at its accomplished mission.

The note read:

“Esboney and Laxis great danger has fallen upon us in Hitenzal.

We need your help as soon as possible. A great evil has been 

released into the land and I need you two to stop it. You’re 

our only hope. 

Yours truly, 

King Gepredice”

I heard soft footfalls coming towards me.

“Laxis?” I yelled, looking around.

“Esboney?” I heard him yell back.

“I’m over here,” I called back.

Laxis appeared from behind a tree and ran over to me. “Oh thank goodness your alright. Don’t just walk off like that, you don’t know what could be out here.

“Sorry, but look what I found, it’s a note from King Gepredice.”

“Here let me see it.” I handed him the note as Emara walked over, all of our things tied to her back. They both read it twice before looking back up at me.

“I do not like the sound of this evil-dweller,” said Emara. 

“Neither do I,” Laxis announced. 

“It will take us too long to get there, they could be attacked again, or worse,” I told them.

“Quick jump on my back, it will be faster than running,” Emara chimed.

“Emara, I don’t want to give you this burden,” Laxis said shaking his head.

“I insist little one. You read the note, they need us as soon as possible.”

“Come on Laxis just this once.”

“But..” Laxis started.

“No buts, I can do this.” Emara interrupted.

“All right, but just this once.” 

Emara nodded and lowered herself to the ground.

Laxis and I clambered onto her back and strapped ourselves into her saddle. I heard her grunt at the weight as we settled into her saddle.

A strange bird flew above us in circles, looking as though it was waiting there for us.

“Ready?” Emara asked over her shoulder.

“Ready!” Laxis and I shouted in unison as I threw my arms tightly around his waist.

“Woo-Hoo!” yelled Laxis, as Emara took off into the air. “Are you sure you can make it Emara?”

“Even if I must crawl we will make it. That I promise you.”

The strange bird frantically flew out of the way as Emara hurtled in its direction.

The wind blew my hair around my face, as we continued to soar through the air.

I watched as the ground flew by beneath us. The sights and sounds changing with the landscape.

At one point a herd of Lannerig ran beneath us, avoiding a very large Buwt chasing after them. The event made me smile. In my early childhood, I had owned a very young Buwt named Ashes, but it grew to big for me to continue taking care of it, so I sent it free. I surprised myself by beginning to cry, but the tears never spilled over my eyelids.