Chapter 2

“When do you think we will arrive Emara?” I yelled over the beat of her wings.

“We should arrive by sundown,” she yelled to me. I nodded my acknowledgement even though she couldn’t see me.

Her scales glistened in the sunlight making her shine like the sun itself.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the bird reappear behind us.

“Laxis look,” I told him pointing at the bird. “I think that bird is following us.”

“How can you be sure?” Laxis asked.

“I saw it not too long ago flying above us in the clearing.”

“Okay, we will keep an eye on it.”

We flew in silence until the sun was beating down upon us from straight above.

“I must rest,” Emara said as she glided down in the direction of a small clearing. Where a large cluster of trees would hide us from any potential enemy. She landed on the ground with a thump, the impact throwing Laxis and I forward, nearly bucking us off.

“Sorry,” said Emara. As Laxis loosened the straps around our legs, I noticed the clearing was oddly quiet. No birds. No squirrels. Not a sound.

“Laxis I don’t like this,” I whispered, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“You don’t like what?” he asked, pausing his hands on the straps and turning to look at me.

“Listen and tell me what you hear.” We all went quiet and Laxis and Emara listened intently.

“I don’t hear anything,” Laxis whispered looking at me curiously.

“Exactly. Where are all the animals?” I pointed out.

“Esboney is right Laxis, we should go. I don’t like it either.”

“I do.” The voice came from nowhere. We all stared in around the clearing looking for the source of the voice. I drew my sword and held it away from Emara’s scaly neck.

“Look here young ones.” The strange bird then suddenly drifted down from the tree above us and perched on my shoulder. I flinched away from the touch, fighting the urge to push it off. 

“I am Ilfric Shadowcloak, King of Rokarsa, beyond the dark sea. If you are wondering, I am not in my true form. Truthfully, I’m back in Rokarsa, sitting in my study, eating Jeghla berries, and drinking wine. The reason I am contacting you now is because I want to warn you.” I took my eyes off the bird to look at Laxis.

“The age of the dragons is over. Once I become ruler over all of Jasria, the dragons will disappear forever. Unless of course, you would be willing to become my servant, then I may spare your life.” 

“They will never be gone, we’ll make sure of it.” Laxis said, speaking for all of us.

“Don’t get your hopes up kid you’ll just end up getting hurt.”

He let out an evil cackle and the bird flew away into the woods.

The three of us sat in silence, shocked at what had just occurred.

I sheathed my sword once more, and turned to Laxis.

“Emara, let’s go. We need to get to Hitenzal now more than ever,“ Laxis said. He tightened our legs straps back up, and Emara took off once more into the clear blue sky, away from the clearing and the king.

    ~*~

When we first spotted Hitenzal, the sun was just setting, throwing the world into darkness. Hitenzal was visible only by the light of the lanterns hung in the streets of the magnificent city. I could not see much more then the watch tower through the thickening darkness. The king’s castle, I could see, was perched high on a hill on the other side of the city.