Chapter 38

À vaillant coeur rien d'impossible.

-Jacques Cœur

For a valiant heart nothing is impossible.

*

*

*

A sharp pain cut through Draco's head. Blinded by the glorious green light, he had lost his grip on Elara. But he didn't feel any pain as he landed against the wall, even though he should have at least broken a bone or two. And as his eyes adjusted to the space around him once more, he could smell and see the white specs of dust dancing around him. It was neither light nor dark magic that had protected him, but an ancient one - one that wasn't taught in any of the books. Professor Trewlaney said it came from within.

He knew it couldn't have been his magic, and as his eyes finally found Elara's, he couldn't believe his eyes. There were thousands of little particles floating around her, creating a faint connection between them. He wasn't so sure if she'd even recognised the ancient magic she had used, as she darted towards the edge of the tower before her scream echoed in his ears.

His stomach twisted and turned inside of him as his guilt began to devour him. Everything was ruled by chaos; Bellatrix was parading around with her old, crazed look. Professor Snape had bent down, with one arm against the wall to support him. Other death eaters, among them even his classmate's parents, began disappearing into the darkness.

Elara didn't take a long time to recover as she bolted from the ground, her wand pointed directly at Snape's face as she shouted something intangible. Draco tried to make out what she was screaming by reading her lips, but his vision had gotten blurry once more. Tears streamed down her eyes, but they were tears of sadness, but tears of pure and blazing anger. He tried to sit up, but his legs wouldn't listen to him. Only when he groaned in pain did Snape and Elara turn their heads to him. Elara pushed past Snape, headed towards him with her worried expression, reaching out with her cut and bruised hands, which most likely got hurt due to her protection bubble. And as Draco tried to warn her, his vocal cords had given up, and he was forced to watch Bellatrix cast an attack onto her.

"Crucio!"

Even though he still couldn't hear her, he could feel her scream as it vibrated through the grounds. Elara twisted in an unnatural position as she landed gracefully onto the floor. And with a blink of an eye, Professor Snape shouted at Bellatrix as she lifted her hands, disappearing into the darkness. 

He stepped over Elara, checking her pulse as her eyelids fluttered and her fist tightened. Knowing they were holding onto the last moments before she'd recover and attack them all, Snape grabbed Draco's collar and disappeared into the darkness with the remaining of the Death Eaters.

Harry, who had only broken free from Elara's spell as she momentarily lost her consciousness, had crawled upstairs. He'd seen it all, even if his body had been immobilised, his eyes were not. He shook Elara's shoulders so violently he thought he had dislocated them by the time she gasped for air.

"They're going to take him," she shot up, stumbling on the spot as her vision darkened.

"They've killed him," Harry stared at the edge of the tower in disbelief.

"We have to stop them!" Elara held onto Harry's hand, ignoring her senses which kept telling him she wasn't as half as strong as she thought she was.