Chapter 34

(Monica's Pov)

*10 months later*

I sipped on my coffee looking at the tree that are shedding their leaves outside, Gilbert sat by me doing some paperwork. My phone buzzed. I guessed that it was Alfred wanting to talk but it was actually an unknown number.

"Hello?" I said.

"Monica?" A women said on the other line.

"Who is this?" I asked, sipping more coffee.

"Your mother." She replied in a thick German accent.

I hoped it was just a prank call by some stupid teenagers, but it was too real to be. My mother and I always had a rocky relationship, with my father dead and me moving to America made our relationship even worse and we eventually stopped talking to each other.

"What do you want?" I said, regretting it because it sounded rude.

"I have some bad news." My mom said in her soft voice.

"What?" I responded.

"I only have 4 months to live." She said, bluntly as usual.

I sat there, shocked. Gilbert looked over at me and raised his eyebrow. She's dying? My mother, the one I've been running away from, is dying.

"Why?" I asked, looking over at Gilbert's concerned face.

"Cancer,"She paused,"Breast Cancer."

"When did you get it?" I asked.

"Last year."

"Why didn't you tell me."

"I didn't think you liked me." She coughed.

"Mom, of course I like you it's just that..." I trailed off.I don't have any excuse. I'm terrible.

"I want you to visit." She mumbled.

"O-okay, how long?When?"

"I don't know I just want my daughter." She hanged up, leaving me confused.

"You okay?" Gilbert asked, taking off his glasses and rubbing his nose.

"My mom has cancer." I looked to the ground.

"Is she okay?" He asked, concerned about her well being.

"I have to visit her."

I have to visit. I can't believe how cruel I was to leave my grieving mother after my father's death. I need to visit her now. My mother is sick and I never called her.

She shouldn't even call me her daughter.

___

I know this was a boring chapter and there was a big time change, but it will get better. Also it's going to end soon so watch out of a sequel and make sure to follow to see the sequel.