Chapter 3 - Nico

We almost won. We really almost won. I had climbed up a tree, scouting out where the opposing team's flag would be, blending into the shadows.
When I'd finally spotted the flag stuck in the pile of rocks the campers called 'Zeus's fist,' Clarrise la Rue, a daughter of Ares, stumbled through the clearing with two of the biggest guys on her team.
Oh. Crap.
And it was worse when one of her uglies caught sight of me in the tree. "Hey, look! It's the freak!"
Clarrise glared up at me, smiling like she'd just won the lottery. "Dead meat, Death Breath."
I scrambled higher up the tree, into one of the highest limbs, when I felt a hand clamp over my mouth. "Shh! They'll see me!" I looked over in terror at the girl who had seemed to have come from nowhere. She was pale. Ghostly, almost like me, with black hair with bangs streaked bright red, covering her right eye, so I could only see the left one. Bright silver and flecked with red. She had a heart shaped face, straight nose, and almost as pretty as (y/n).
"Who...?!" I tried to speak through her cool hand.
"Shhh!" She tightened her grip over my mouth. "My name is KJ. Undetermined. Now be quiet!" KJ closed her eyes tightly, then opened them, but they were pure red and glowing.
Suddenly, I heard ugly shrieking from Clarrise and her buddies below. I look down and find smoky red tendrils of light wrapping around their bodies, squeezing them into unconsciousness. They fell to the ground, and KJ's eyes dimmed back to their regular silver/red. Then she shuts her eyes, and the grip over my mouth vanished, and she crumpled like a rag doll, falling out of the tree onto the ground. I snapped my fingers and a skeleton guard dressed in a confederate uniform caught her before she cracked her head on the rocks below.
And then the red team came running from our side of the border with the blue team's flag, Annabeth Chase from Athena cabin in the lead. And our flag, as soon as she crossed the creek, shimmered silver and the caduceus image painted on the flag flickered and turned into an owl.
I spotted (y/n) behind a nearby bush, scowling at the opposing team. As we lost.
Watching the losing team lose. Ah...crud.