History

"There's something really weird about him." I said into my cellphone. I stand in the kitchen waiting on my popcorn to finish popping. As the bell dings, I pulled the popcorn out of the microwave and pass it onto the counter top. I sighed into the phone as Charlotte and Eva go on and on about Lucas and his brother Finn, "But...don't you feel it? Something about them is...off."

I hadn't met Finn, but I had seen him. To say that the two are nearly identical is an understatement. Physically they are the same person but their demeanor and overall feel are entirely different. He seems to have taken a liking to Eva, who seemed just as taken with him.

Finn seemed to be the more presentable of the two and is very much a gentleman whereas his brother is a total scoundrel.

"Okay, Finn and Lucas are hot. Amazingly hot. But there's something dangerous about Lucas." I stuffed popcorn into my mouth before speaking again, "Are telling me that you haven't sensed something totally batshit about him?"

Charlotte countered my statement by reminding me that I had just said that Lucas was hot. She theorized that I was doing what I normally do to people I am attracted to: Vilify them. She also pointed out that I had done that with David.

"Okay, it might not be such a stretch to think I have a slight attraction to the guy. It's not a stretch at all, but come on." I sat the bag of popcorn on the coffee table, "He's...he scares me."

"Scares? Or excites?" Eva asked.

I sighed into the phone. They knew me better than anyone else in the world. I told them both that I had to go and hung up the phone. I sat the phone on the table and began stuffing more popcorn in my mouth. The thought of liking someone else is a terrifying thought. The fact that David is supposed to come back to school tomorrow is even worse. Now Eva and I can be cowards together.

                                                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Summer, July 2...

"Are you sure about this?" David asked.

It was always about fun. The thrill of the chase, the absolute feeling of disconnection that I felt with him. At the beginning of sophomore year, I was surprised when David took interest in me. It started off slowly, first with helping Eva and Parker get back together but quickly escalated to hanging out and eventually we became friends.

I thought I was insane about my feelings until he took the initiative to cross the line.

And I let him.

After a while of making out, we were brought to a defining moment. The point where making out and stealing kisses turns into something more physical and life-changing than I was used to. The tides had turned in whatever relationship we had.

But it was my decision. And I didn't regret it.

What I regretted was the moment after it when I had to learn the truth about love and relationships.

As I rest on his chest, I felt more at home than I had in a while. It was a weird feeling to feel him pull away and even weirder to feel him get to his feet and begin to dress.

I watched on, trying not to worry.

When he was done, it was like he couldn't look at me. I began to wonder if it was shame or had I not done something wrong. When he left without a word, I felt ashamed and dirty and a bit confused.