i. you're just like an angel (your skin makes me cry)

EVERMORE
— I. you're just like an angel
(your skin makes me cry)
HALLOWEEN ONESHOT
POST SUDDEN DESIRE CH. 11

Coraline doesn't usually go out on Halloween. Those evenings are usually spent curled up on the sofa, cocooned beneath her comforter, watching the entire Scream series back-to-back. It had become somewhat of a ritual, those films. Sat in the comfortable dark while she practically quoted the film back at the TV screen. An annual event since she was ten, when she'd managed to convince her dad to let her watch the first three films while her mom was out with friends. Her DVD copies were almost two decades old, now.

It must have taken something, or someone, special to break a habit so ingrained, a years-old routine.

That was the moment Daniel Meyer knew, beyond all doubt, that Coraline Meyer looked at Marcus Pike as more than just a friend.

Sure, she denies it. Sure she's too damn stubborn to admit it, even to him. But for someone to pull Cora from her Scream-filled Halloween night bubble, it must take a lot. He isn't blind, either. He's seen the looks they give each other - those fleeting looks, a flush of red creeping to their cheeks whenever they glance between each other for a moment, that soft lingering smile on her face when she arrives at his house after a day spent with him - and he's spent hours in his living room listening to her recall stories and gush about him like he hung all the stars in the night sky.

Daniel Meyer knows his sister well enough to know that she only has eyes for him.

He'd been surprised when she'd rung him that Thursday morning, bright and early as the sun continued to rise high in the sky, proclaiming that she was, in fact, coming to their Halloween party. That surprise had disappeared, however, the second she'd mentioned Marcus was coming, too. He'd laughed and she'd asked why but he wouldn't tell her, amusement peaking the moment he heard his name. It's adorable and he should have known, really. Of course, he should have known.

...

Coraline tugs awkwardly on the costume. It's cheap and uncomfortable and she'd bought it last minute from some poorly-lit store in the city. It's that cheap, plastic-like material that clings to your figure in the most unforgiving places, places it shouldn't yet somehow moulds to. She's just glad she didn't pick one of the skimpier ones she'd tried, the ones that rested far too high on her thighs and squeezed her torso so tightly it felt like she was wearing a corset. She felt like she was about to burst straight through the thin material. Instead, she'd gone for the far more family-friendly option.

Skimpy outfits aren't a good idea for a family Halloween party.

Though, even in the most modest costume she can find, she's still pretty sure that she looks utterly ridiculous.

But that's part of the charm though, right?

The costume she's settled on is slightly more modest than the rest, now that she's fished out those stupidly expensive thigh-high boots she'd bought for a red carpet event once, that rise just high enough to conceal the ridiculous amount of leg on show. It tones the outfit down enough that she's positive she won't offend the eyes of the conservative parents whose kids run around with her nephews.

It's not a big deal. She doesn't particularly care. She only cares what Marcus thinks.

If he likes it, who cares what anyone else thinks.