Chapter Nine

Rhiannon slowly enters the rocky arena where her dragon stands waiting for her. It eyes her as she moves slowly, just a few steps. She holds out her wand at her side. The Durmstrang crowd are cheering her name, waving banners. Rhiannon eyes the golden egg behind the dragon and then makes a run for it but the dragon reacts too. She is quick to slide through its front legs and using her wand she activates the runes on her body.

"Come on" She whispers and pulls her wand back and then darts out from under the dragon. The dragon snaps at her and she spins quickly out of the way of its mouth. She lets out a small laugh. Agility is working. The dragon lifts up his foot and intends on bringing it down on her. She hopes strength is working. She holds up her hands, catching the dragon's foot. Holding it over her head. The dragon lowers its head to look at her. Surprised. It opens its mouth and lets loose a blazing rope of fire. It washes over Rhiannon and the crowd falls silent. Waiting. The smoke disappears to reveal Rhiannon. Unharmed. The dragon lets out an annoyed growl and Rhiannon, using her new strength, pushes up, throwing its foot from her. It staggers about and she makes a dart for the egg. Durmstrang students going wild in the stands. The tail swings around, coming right for her, Rhiannon's eyes dart between the tail and the egg, the tail is going to reach her before she reaches the egg. "One" She starts, her eyes on the tail. "Two....three" she jumps as the tail reaches her, she twirls in the air over the tail and then lands in a kneel. She pushes herself up and races forward. Can hear the dragon behind her as it rights itself, getting ready to attack. She disappears into Mist which swirls around the dragon and the arena before it lands and takes form behind the egg, Rhiannon grabs the egg and stands up tall. Durmstrang stand in celebration. Cheering and clapping, chanting her name. Rhiannon looks at Viktor who smiles and shakes his head. Impressed and relieved.

...............

Harry finds Rhiannon in the champions' tent alone at the end of the first task. She'd taken off before they'd even revealed her score or her placing. She's sat on a bench staring at the golden dragon's egg. Hearing him approaching her, she glances at him and then sets the egg down next to her.

"Hermione said you left before you found out your score" Harry offers as he moves towards her, she hums and nods.

"I'm not in it for the points," She tells him. "I don't really care.....I just want to come out of this with all ten fingers and toes" She pulls off her over robes and looks down at the fading runes on her arms. She then hums and looks at him. "Fine, what did I get?" He smiles and sits on the bench close to her.

"You did great" He offers. "You got 40 points," He tells her, she raises an eyebrow. "Hermione said they marked you down for use of....untraditional magic," He tells her, she scoffs and shakes her head.

"My runes and my mist," She tells him. "Come on, we both know that's utter rubbish...they marked me down because they didn't want a Grindelwald to come first" Harry then chuckles a little.

"But you did" He argues, she stops and turns to him.

"What?" She asks him. He nods.

"Joint first..." She lets out a breath and looks away from him.

"No, no, you're messing with me" She scolds him. "With who?"

"Me" He admits, she lets out a little breath.

"Be serious" She scolds him. "Two fourteen-year-olds?" He nods. "I don't...oh, come on, I can't believe that"

"He is being completely honest" They both turn to find Dumbledore behind them. Harry stands.

"I was just...letting her know her score...." Harry rambles slightly.

"I am aware" Dumbledore assures him. "But if you don't mind, Harry, I would like a word with Miss Grindelwald" Harry looks between the two of them before he nods.

"Okay," he whispers and then leaves the tent, though he lingers slightly outside. Rhiannon raises an eyebrow, unsure of why he would want to talk to her.

"I have this for you" Dumbledore holds out a box to her. She takes it and sets it down on the bench she and Harry had been sat on. She opens the box to find a sort of mirror inside, she frowns and looks at Dumbledore for an explanation. "I went to see your father" He admits, she clenches her jaw and looks away.

"Oh," She whispers and shrugs.

"I admit that I...was concerned that he was capable of producing a child when he as been locked away as long as he has been" She nods, she has had the same concerns, and has gone back and forth on whether or not people have been telling her the truth of her heritage. "It appears your mother is a very skilled...individual. She found a way....." He shakes his head a little. "It does not matter. He...appeared ill-informed about you" She glances at him. "But desired to get to know you" He motions to the box. "It is a two-way mirror," He tells her. "I have sent the other half to Nurmengard" She picks up the mirror and stares into it. "Just say his name..." She drops the mirror back into the box and shakes her head.

"No" She whispers, more to herself. She sets the lid back on it. "I don't want anything to do with him..." She is quick to tell him. "I was abandoned, by him, by my mother, I don't have anything for him..." She turns to face him. "Thank you, for the gesture and the thought, Headmaster, but I can't take this" She holds the box out to him. "Please...I can't" He takes it from her and nods. She sniffles and looks away. She then nods, picks up her golden dragon egg, and then leaves the tent. Dumbledore sets his hand on the top of the box and lets out a breath.

................

The Durmstrang students are already waiting for Rhiannon when she walks onto the ship. Cheers of celebration and congratulations echo out, she gives a small smile but honestly, she just wants to go to bed. Viktor gives her a look and a nudge, this isn't just her victory, she has to share it with the school. She nods a little and then lifts up the golden egg over her head. The cheers pick up again and she looks at Attila who watches her. He appears proud but still concerned about her.