Prologue

Tattoos

Percy:

I got my tattoo when I was 12. The police had just arrested my dad for child endangerment and abuse. I was sitting on the steps to my apartment after the police left when I felt something. It's hard to describe but I knew I had gotten my tattoo. Since the tattoos move I didn't know where to look. But it popped up on my arm. A little Pegasus. My mom told me the tattoos get more details as they grow.

My tattoo did indeed get more detailed. On my 13th birthday, it changed colour. At first, it was just an outline but when I blew out my candles that day, it became a green-grey mix. My tattoo continued to change. Its mane became black and blonde when I turned 14. My mom said those are hints to what my soulmate would look like. I guessed she had blond hair and gray eyes. Mom also said the other details would be more about her and they wouldn't come on my birthday.

The first time it changed after that was when I was 15. Me and my best friend Grover had successfully gotten our supply teacher fired. She was the worst. Two red converse were added to the front hooves. The back hooves were blue converse, identical to mine. It still changed that year. A small dagger on the right-wing and a sword on the left. I didn't understand that one.

When I turned 16 a large ring attached to a string appeared around its neck. It also had a bead necklace. I recognized the bead necklace as one I made at camp when I was 11. It hasn't changed since. I'm only 16. Maybe it changes once a year? That doesn't make sense, what about when I was 15. It changed twice that year. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Annabeth:

I got my tattoo when I was 12. I was over at Thalia's house when it happened. My dad had let me sleepover and we were in the middle of watching a movie when I felt it. I knew it was my tattoo. Everyone I knew had told me what it felt like. I ran to the washroom and tried to find it. It popped up on my back and moved to my arm when I called. A Pegasus. Thalia told me how they get more details as they grow. I couldn't wait to see what it was going to change into.

It first changed when I was 13. I was in the middle of washing the dishes. I called it because I was bored. My dad was out at a work conference. It turned a green-grey mix. It was just an outline before but now it was coloured. It changed again when I was 14. This time its mane became black and blonde. Luke said those were hints to what my soulmate looked like. I guessed he had black hair and green eyes.

When I was 15 it changed for the third time. Two blue converse were added to the back hooves while two red converse were added to the front hooves. I threw out my red converse that day. Ever since my dad, Thalia, and Luke died in an accident I had decided I wanted nothing to do with Soulmates. It still changed. This time a dagger on the right-wing and a sword on the left. I could deal with that. But nothing more.

When I was 16 it changed again. A beaded necklace appeared around its neck along with a large ring attached to a string. The same ring that hung around my neck at the same time. I lost it. I picked up my dagger, identical to the one on my Pegasus, and attacked my arm where it sat. I ripped my arm to shreds and had to be taken to the hospital. I didn't care. The Pegasus got away.

I'm just going to do the other tattoos later in the story. Let's start.