Chapter 8 ⚠️

⚠️ TW: mentions of assault ⚠️

Alex's POV - Monday, August 24th, 2020, 7:27 pm

"Alex... what do you mean?"

Shit.

I did not mean to say that.

"What do you mean, what do I mean?" Please let that work, please let that work, please let that work-

"Alex, you said 'people I need get hurt'. What're you talking about?" He turns toward me. "Alex, is there something you're not telling me?"

I sighed. I had hoped I wouldn't have to spill the personal details until... well, never. I had sort of hoped I would never have to tell him about this. Or, at the very least, I didn't plan on telling him before the second date.

"Do we have to talk about this right now?"

John sighed and looked away. "Not if you don't want to, Alex."

I felt terrible. He had been here, taking care of me, for the past three days. I owed him so much. After all, we had just met a week ago. And here he was, skipping a week of classes so he could stay here and take care of me. No one in Nevis would have done that for me. I turned back toward him and tried to smile, but it probably came out as more of a grimace. My bruises were fading, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt. "John..."

He looked at me. "Yeah, Alex?"

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For... for being here for me."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, most people that have only been on one date with someone wouldn't miss a week of classes at one of the nation's leading universities because that someone got beat up."

"I'm not most people."

I laughed. "No, you most certainly are not."

~~~~~~~~~~

John's POV - Saturday, August 29, 2020, 2:18 pm

I was helping Alex pack up his things. He was leaving the hospital today, to stay with the Washingtons until he was fit to go back to school. He was doing a lot better - he could move around and such - but it would be a little while before he was well enough to begin attending classes again.

Once we got all our things packed, I walked him out. Mr. Washington was waiting in his car, ready to take him back to their house. I helped him into the car.

"Bye, John. Text you later?"

I grinned. "Text you later."

I hailed a cab and headed back to the college. When I got back, I headed to the campus Starbucks, to see Laf and get some real coffee, instead of that watery shit they had at the hospital. I walked in the door to see the Frenchman taking orders as fast as he possibly could. Apparently, 2:50 on a Saturday was the best time ever to get coffee. It took nearly half an hour to get up to the front. I smiled at Laf. "How are you?"