42

I kept glancing at Dion as he stared down at his hands

I kept glancing at Dion as he stared down at his hands. Achilleus had been yelling for a solid five minutes now and Dion didn't look like he was listening. He was somewhere else.

"Achilleus," I said, interrupting the very angry man.

His face was so red as he looked at me with bulging eyes.

"I think Dion understands now." I made a discrete nod towards him.

Achilleus grunted and dumped down in his chair again, tapping the desk. "What did you expect me to do here, Arlo?"

"Write it up as his first mistake. It's not like any of the others would react any other way if they had gotten the chance. People are angry."

"Yeah? So am I. My damn beneficiary is my neighbour, okay? I know this shit. I don't want to ruin my business just because some asshat thinks halfs don't deserve rights. There's been assholes like him before and there'll be someone who overturns his dumbass rules at some point. Alright?"

I shrugged a little. "It's his biological uncle."

Dion snapped out of it and looked up from his hands. His eyes were wide, and it was so obvious he just wasn't here right now.

Achilleus softened a little. "You should've said so. Well, he's blacklisted from the club anyways. Not a single worker wanted to work with him after the incident. I probably should've told him no from the get-go, but he paid his way in." He shrugged a little.

"C-can I go home now?" Dion asked with the smallest voice.

"Yes. Take some time off, alright? You've been working a lot lately. Skedaddle before I change my mind." He waved us out and I didn't wanna linger.

Back in the car I turned to Dion. "What do you wanna do?"

"I wanna go away."

"How about we go to Mykonos? And this time we bring Oliver."

He nodded and glanced up at me. "Have you gone with Oliver before?"

"Yeah. His family is really nice. His mum kind of adopted me when I first moved here. Oliver and I had both just moved so he'd invite me to his for all the holidays."

"Sounds nice."

"It is. And so will this trip be. Just like our first one." I took his hand in mine and kissed his knuckles.

He finally smiled, looking more like himself.