Lie to me - Part 32

The peach flavoured cheesecake turned in your stomach as you shovelled another syrupy sweet mouthful onto your spoon. Mark and Jennie had taken you to a gentrified area of town known for it's artisan roasted coffee, overpriced sourdough and cobblestone streets lined with wooden cafe tables. Even in the midst of winter the street was crowded with Christmas day shoppers on outings with their family members.

Something about today felt off, you couldn't quite put your finger on it, but there was a sinking feeling in your stomach which you couldn't shake, telling you something was not right.

Mark's words had deeply affected you and stuck in your mind while his kisses lingered on your skin like a bitter perfume.  

As you watched Jennie adoringly watch Mark eating, you wondered if he had been wrong about the sweet lady. She seemed too innocent to manipulate someone as sharp and self-assured as Mark. You watched as the waiter arrived at the table and delivered the check. Jennie's eyes widened as she peered down at the bill. Looking up from the piece of paper she cautiously examined the cleaned plates.

She had ordered polenta fries and stuffed mushroom for starters, followed by a main of pumpkin soup and baked bass. To finish the meal, dessert was a chocolate mousse cake which she had finished all by herself. You sensed that Jennie's gluttony had got the best of her and now she was regretting having lost self-control.

Mark noticed Jennie's uneasiness when she saw the bill and instantly took it from grasp, he gave you a knowing glance.

"Don't worry babe, I'll cover the meal today. I'll pay for your food too Y/N, since you've been such a good host to us." Mark smiled warmly and you thanked him for his generosity.

"You're such a good boyfriend." Jennie cooed. 

You watched in contempt and her frowned at her gummy grin which lacked any sign of genuineness.

After your lunch and having picked up Mark and Jennie's luggage from your apartment, you drove the pair to the airport. The drive there was solemn and oddly quiet, like an arduous chapter of your life was coming to a dispassionate close. Occasionally you stole a glance at Mark in the back seat of your car, he was looking out the window watching the familiar scenery of the city race by. Other times he would be gazing directly at you, no emotions played on his lips, but his eyes said all you needed to know.

He was stuck in a loveless relationship doomed to fail. You laughed inwardly after noticing the striking similarities of Mark's relationship with Jaehyun's past relationship with Jiyeon. Albeit, Jaehyun's was a lot more toxic and mentally draining.

As you said your final goodbye to the couple, Mark took you one last time into his firm arms. His eyes roamed your face, searching for a hint of expression. You gave him a lazy smile, he responded by hugging you tighter, engulfing you in his strong arms. He had grown a lot since the last time you'd seen him and your head was now on his chest. Through the soft knitted fabric of his sweater you could hear his heart racing, a steady and strong rhythm.

Was it racing for you?

"Stay safe bud," he mumbled into your ear, his voice a low rumble muffled by fabric, "And remember to open that letter I gave you."

With that he let you go. Soon he was gone, just a mere memory, a ghost, the symbol of a bygone era of when you were a carefree freshman, dazed and confused in a new university.

Once you got home the sinking feeling had not subsided and no matter what you did to alleviate your worries your anxieties continued to build.

You sat on the edge of the bed and took the navy envelope from the nightstand. Holding your breath you opened it with one fell swoop of your index finger, piercing the corner and ripping the top of the letter open.

Inside was a business class plane ticket scheduled for tomorrow evening and a handwritten letter from Mark, written in careful cursive.

"Dear Y/N,

Our time together was short, but I thank you for every second. Since the day your eyes locked with mine and you introduced yourself at the espresso bar I fell in love with you. Although it might not seem like it, I was just a timid boy back then, I didn't understand the complexities of the world let alone those of love. My desires are things that even I can't comprehend, I never dreamt of falling in love with you so please forgive me for doing so.

I know in the past I have behaved in ways that made you disappointed and now make me cringe with regret. If I had a time machine I would go back. But not to correct my mistakes, but to make sure I never left you, never let go of you and kissed you every chance I got. I would find a way to help my father and stay in the city, even if it meant having to set the world on fire.

Concerning Jennie, I have no qualms about maintaining our relationship "behind her back" so to speak. She has her own goals in life and I have mine, as long as both parties are satisfied and these goals are fulfilled then I see no reason to end this successful partnership. Which is why I'm asking you to move to Canada with me, in secret of course, as to not raise anyone's suspicion about us being a "thing". I'm asking you to take a break from your studies and come live with me in Vancouver, I already have the plane ticket for you and a separate apartment set up where you can reside in comfort and close to me. In the future, if you decide you like Vancouver, you could even enroll in the university's philosophy program and I would pay your full 3 years worth of tuition, no catch. If you decide studying just isn't for you, then I'll offer you a position at my father's entertainment company as my personal assistant.

What I'm writing may seem selfish and foolish, but these are the measures I am willing to take to ensure you never depart from my life again. Even if you don't love me anymore, I would rather you lie to me so I could hold you in my arms every night. The worse we leave the situation the better it gets, in some twisted way I like the pain and torment this suffering brings. It makes me even more besotted with you. I have no guilt, no shame because every time I hold you in my arms and press your delicate lips to mine, it feels so right. Everybody lies, at least once in their life. It's in our human nature to do so. Please, lie to me if you have to. I will forgive you every time.

The ball is now in your court. I'll be waiting for your plane to land tomorrow, 9pm Gate 7B.

- Signed Mark (Minhyung) Lee"

You broke down and cried upon reading Mark's letter. His words were the most wicked yet alluringly poetic you had ever read. You were unsure if you could get up from the bed, all energy had been drained from your body. You took out the plane ticket and turned it over, examining the number of the flight and your name embossed on the plastic paper.

Mark's tempting words echoed in your mind "The ball is in your court."