Chapter 7

I wake up in a cold sweat. I had the nightmare again. I look at the time, it's 5:28 AM. Beatrice and I finished planning around 11:30, and I went to bed right after that.

I'm surprised I was actually able to sleep. Is it technically sleep if you have a horrible nightmare? I look around, and I don't see a trace of Cristiano. He probably went to the Bordello. But why would he stay over night? My heart sinks into my stomach when I think about the possibility of him being with Livianna. God why didn't I just let him touch me? Why did I have to push him away? I feel like an idiot. I'm not stupid, I'm just completely terrified of him.

I start getting flashbacks of the nightmare. It's the same nightmare I always have. My parents dying. It happened on February 9th 10 years ago. There was a party going on, we were all sitting and my dad was giving a speech sort of thing, talking about how much he loved watching me grow. How much he loved me.

All of the sudden there were gun shots, and blood-curdling screams. I was picked up out of my chair, and put under a table. Luca had done that, he had saved my life. I don't remember much, but I remember when it was over I saw my mothers body. Her eyes were open, but there was nothing behind them. She was dead. I shiver from my memories, and decide to try and go back to sleep.

I don't sleep, as soon as the sun comes up, I get up. Today is a big day. Some of Cristiano's most important family members are coming for dinner. A dinner that I helped plan. In the Mafia you never get a second chance, so this has to go well. I get ready, and immediately go downstairs and start helping Beatrice get the plans, and the house set up. I am running all over the house, and the hours seem to fly by. I don't even get a chance to sit down. Finally, Beatrice gets a hold of me.

"Gia, the guests will be here in 45 minutes."

I don't even have to respond, I just turn around, run upstairs, and start getting ready. I feel faint. I haven't eaten all day. I power through, and do my hair and makeup. I'm careful not to put too much on. There is a fine line between "beautiful" and "slutty" women in the mafia.

I go into the closet and pick out a black dress, with see-through sleeves that have black flowery decorations on them. It's beautiful yet simple. It's perfect for tonight. As soon as I finish getting ready,

I head downstairs where I see Cristiano waiting for me. I know if I hesitate I'll be in even more trouble than I am already in. He sees me and looks pleased, I am all dolled up for his little event. As soon as I face him at the bottom of the stairs his eyes fall to my neck.

It suddenly hits me that I forgot to cover up the hickey he had given me yesterday. He bites his lip, and brushes his fingers over the mark. Almost like he's proud of his work.

Out of pure reaction I smack his hand away. Instead of getting angry, like I had expected him to, he simply scoffs at me.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. Cristiano goes to answer the door, and welcomes the guests with open arms. The guests walk over to me, and I flash a warm smile, and open my arms as well. Time to pretend like I'm happy, and that I am not absolutely terrified for the next 3 hours. His godmother and godfather, a few of his friends, and a few of his Mafia associates are the guests. For a few minutes I'm not so nervous, I actually like some of these people. Until two people walk through the door that makes the blood drain from my face. Diavolo and Livianna walk through the door.

Why were they here? Why were they together? I wanted to be sick. I wanted to tell both of them to leave. But I keep my composure, and I smile. Livianna looks miserable, but gorgeous as expected. Diavolo keeps staring at me. Cristiano suddenly claps his hands together.

"Let's go to the dinner table, shall we?" He takes my hand in his, as we lead the way to the dining hall. I made sure it was decorated perfectly. I owe much of it to Beatrice though. Once we are all settled, the conversation begins.

"So, Cristiano, I think we should discuss the plan for...tomorrow." One of his associates says. Cristiano sighs.

"Sergio, I'd rather not discuss this in front of the women." He looks at me and then Livianna. I seethe with jealousy. Even him looking at her makes me upset. She looks at me, but she doesn't look angry or upset. She looks sick, and wistful. Diavolo suddenly cuts in the conversation.

"Your right Cristiano. Let's not discuss this now. We should talk about how lovely your wife looks." My head suddenly snaps to look at Diavolo, and then to Cristiano. Diavolo's eyes are glued on to me, and Cristiano is giving Diavolo a look of death. I'm desperately trying not to blush. Cristiano snaps.

"Diavolo! I think you should make that little announcement you were telling me about over the phone last night." He says sternly. I'm so confused, I have no idea what's going on. Cristiano and Diavolo seem to be in a stand off. Every one at the table is looking at the staring match, until Diavolo finally stands up, and makes his announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" He suddenly grabs Livianna's hand. "Livianna Regio and I are going to be married." I grip my seat to keep my jaw from dropping. Luckily everyone else at the table is just as shocked to silence as I am. Cristiano's uncle, is going to marry his ex girlfriend and possible mistress.

I suddenly notice Livianna's face. She's green, she looks disgusted and heartbroken. I can tell she's holding back tears. Honestly, if I were going to be married to Diavolo I'd be the same way. His nature was repulsive.

Cristiano's godmother suddenly starts clapping, and everyone else follows suit. Diavolo sits down and people immerse in conversation again. I just stare at Livianna, and suddenly she looks at me. Her eyes are pleading with me. I know what she's thinking. Please help me, get me out of this. Seemingly out of nowhere she speaks.

"Giada, could you show me to the bathroom please?" She asks me. She's desperate, and I can't help but feel for her. I smile back at her.

"Of course Miss Regio, follow me." We swiftly get out of our seats, and I lead her to the bathroom. She opens the bathroom door, and yanks me in with her. She runs over to the toilet, and starts to puke. I cover my mouth, I hate seeing anyone in such misery. Even if they did sleep with my husband. Eventually she stops throwing up, and rolls over and sits against the wall.

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

"Does it look like it?!" She snaps at me. She looks angry, then remorseful.

"Sorry." She says "I don't mean to snap at you." She pulls out a cigarette from her purse, and lights it. I guess that's something she and Cristiano have in common. They are both addicted to their cigarettes.

"I understand." I say to her.

"No you don't Giada. Your married to the man I'm in love with. Your a fucking Donna. I'm just a whore. I'm hearing rumors that Diavolo is going to make me wear a black wedding dress because I'm not a virgin." Tears start to stream down her face and she takes another puff of her cigarette. She just admitted she's in love with Cristiano. I feel terrible for her. I've only known him for barely 3 days, yet I'm his wife. She's been in love with him for god knows how long, and he is marrying her off to his Uncle.

"Livianna, I know you probably hate me. But I'm here if you need a friend. You can trust me." I smile at her, and she smiles back. I help her up and we head back to the dining room. Not long after, the guests start to leave. As she walks out the door she nods at me, and I smile back. She trusts me, I hope I can trust her. As soon as everyone is out the door, Cristiano heads upstairs.

I wander around the house for a while, he didn't tell me to come up with him, so I figured I should just stay out of his way. I can tell he is still upset about yesterday. I feel woozy, I didn't eat anything at dinner. I decide to head upstairs. I slowly open the bedroom door. The lights are on and there is steam coming out of the bathroom door. Suddenly he comes out of the bathroom only in a towel, and walks straight into the closet. I decide to just get ready for bed and I go into the bathroom.

There is still fog and steam from Cristiano's shower. God I feel so dizzy. The heat from the shower seems to highlight my dehydration. My vision starts to blur, and I feel my face hit the cold hard tile. Suddenly everything goes dark....