12

Me and the girls land in Toronto the next evening, I drag myself into the airport my carry-on in my hand. "Why does it feel like we've been away for close to a year?" Jill asks as we walk to the luggage pickup area. "It sincerely must be all the jet lag we've been through" Lexi mumbles. "I can't wait to be in my own bed again" I say, "ditto" my friends exclaim. Once we have all of our things we leave the airport and go to the long-term parking lot where Jill parked her car the day we left for the trip. I shiver as we walk, "when did it get so cold here?" I ask while speed walking across the parking lots, "that's what happens when you travel to warmer climates" I huff but keep my mouth shut as we approach the car. When we get our suitcases into the car, which seems to have gotten harder compared to the first time around, Jill leaves the airport getting onto the highway in the direction of Barrie.

"Home sweet home!"Lexi yells as we walk into the house an hour later, I smile feeling much better now that we're back. I leave my bags by the door and run up to my room taking a running start as I flop face first onto the bed, I reach for my heart shaped pillow hugging it tightly. There's a knock on my door making me lift my head, "your mom is calling" Jill says while throwing my phone at me, "thanks" she smiles and walks away. I accept the call bringing the phone up to my ear, "are you back?" I laugh, "yes, we just got to the house", "oh good, I didn't know if you were ever going to come back, since you never called me while you were gone" I smile sheepishly even though she can't see me, "oops, I did post pictures though" she scoffs, "I'll let it go this time sweetheart, but don't let it happen again" I roll my eyes, "okay mom, I'm going to go I'm exhausted" she makes a kissing noise over the phone making me smile, "love you Cal" I say the same back and hang up.

I rotate onto my back a few seconds later staring up at the ceiling. I hear footsteps before another weight is on my bed followed by another seconds later. "Was that trip for real? Or did I just imagine it all and we haven't even left yet?" I say, a hand comes to mine squeezing it, "was 100% real Cal, I have the photo and video evidence" Lexi replies. I sigh, "how can my emotions get thrown into a blender like that in such a short amount of time?" Jill laughs, "I'd say fate, but you never believe in that even with all of the proof around you" I throw my hands over my eyes rubbing them, hoping that it will provide some clarity. "What am I going to do?" I mumble to them, "you'll figure it out Cal, you always do" Lexi says while patting my hand. They both get up a few seconds later leaving me alone to over analyze the whole situation that I got myself into during our vacation.

——

When I walk into the office a few days later I'm bombarded with questions about Australia. The reminder of the trip makes me remember what our social media staff did. I walk over to their desks with a purpose, "wanna tell me something?" I ask rhetorically to the three members of the social media staff. "We're sorry Callie, but seeing Colts gear that far away from here is amazing and needed to be shared with the fans" my gaze moves to their pleading expressions and I realize that they're right, "you're right, but please just ask me first next time" they all nod with smiles on their faces. I spin on my heel and head towards my office to catch up on what I've missed.

After a few minutes of working on one of next season's marketing campaigns my phone vibrates. I look away from my work wondering who would be contacting me on my phone at this time. My eyes widen when I see a text message from Daniel, "shit" I mumble realizing that I haven't texted him since I got back to Barrie. I unlock my phone, pressing my texting app,

Daniel
Are you okay? I'm kinda worried

Callie
I'm sooooo sorry I forgot to text you when I got back, it was hectic getting ready for work stuff, I'm perfectly okay though 😊

Daniel
Thank god I was ready to hop on a plane to check, I hope it's not too hectic though wouldn't want you to burnout

Callie
Just hectic enough so no need to ever hop onto a plane for me

Daniel
You know what?

Callie
What?

A knock on my office door pulls me away from the conversation. "Peter wants to see you Cal" I put my phone down and nod before standing and leaving my office to go to his.

Once I get to Peter's desk I see that he'a finishing a call but he smiles up at me. When he hangs up seconds later he spins to me, "well look at you, with that fresh off vacation glow" I wave away his comment with a smile, "whatever Pete, what did you want?" He snaps his fingers and turns to his desk, "right, I just need you to reach out to these sponsors for marketing packages" he hands me a folder and I nod, "by the way, you should go on vacation more often it suits you Cal" I shrug before walking back to my office. I start emailing the team sponsors before remembering Daniel. I quickly press send on the last email and turn back to my phone, unlocking it to see that he replied to the previous messages,

Daniel
I miss you