Tears and Strawberries

"Ooh. So that's why you'd always stay in school after hours." Marco connected the dots while he sat across from me during lunch.

"Yup." I answered.

"Does your dad know?"

"He wouldn't get it. He wouldn't see it as a normal coping mechanism."

I normally stayed in school for as long as I could just to walk through every hallway and staircase with my own music blasting in my ears.

Even after the sessions end each day. Even after the sun set. I wouldn't leave until either Principal Smith or my science teacher, Ms. Zoë would confront me about it.

Even Janitor Ackerman would personally asked me if I ever had a curfew a few times. Sometimes I'd stay after just to talk to him, and he wouldn't mind since "I'm not as shitty as the rest of those brats".

It kept my mind busy and filled the void of loneliness, and also taught me how to enjoy my own company. It's a way of self comfort.

It gets too quiet in my house.

Even though the heating system in there works just fine, it still feels cold.

I should be used to this by now. But it's always bothered me. For as long as I can remember.

Not even my favorite fruit was enough for comfort.

My dad would sometimes work late or overtime shifts, but at least I knew for a fact that he still genuinely loves and cares about me. He's the only person that loves me. But life can geta little too busy for his terms.

All I know is that my mom works a high paying job, both overseas and local.

Marco already knows how terrifying it is for me to be alone with my thoughts, since I tend to think existentially.

I remember that one time when he came over to my house, since I haven't been in school for 5 days. I was home alone that evening, and the bathroom door was locked which meant no good in general. Marco had to bust the door open to confirm his worries of me.

He found my unconscious slouched over the outside of the tub with velvet streams of blood running down my exposed forearms, creating a pool of crimson on the lap of my short, grey off shoulder lacy dress, and a used blade lying on the floor, across my hands that held swollen strawberries.

My hair was messy and my eyes where puffy and pink from hours of crying. I didn't get to finish chewing the strawberries in my mouth because I blacked out with my eyes open, due to the amount of blood I lost.

That was only 13 months ago.

The only thing I regret is having Marco see such a scene.

I've done a great job traumatizing my closest friend and pissing him off simultaneously.

"You could've call my mom and asked her to let you stay the night." Marco smiles gently.

"Yeah, but your mother is a hard worker and a sweet soul. Her kindness only goes a long way. I wouldn't want to bother her." I knit my brows at him and sheepishly rub my neck.

"Actually her kindness is unlimited. Unless someone messes with her family." He nervously chuckled.

"Heh. Exce-"

"That includes you, Y/n."

"Oh. Sorry."

"Don't be."

...

"You know what would be a great idea?"

"...I don't like that face, Marco." I slightly leaned back.

"Another sleepover." He wiggles his eyebrows.

In the middle of the week?

Cool...

"Oh." I blinked.

Whew!

I thought he was gonna say 'double date'...!

"Who's coming over? Besides me of course." I asked.

"This time..."

"Oh boy..." I didn't mean to think out loud but oh well.

"Jean and I will be coming over." Marco added while slinking his arm around Jean's shoulders.

"Mh-...we are?" Jean repeats as he swallowed his omelette lunch.

"...Huh?"