three

A week later we invited our neighbors to have dinner at our place. In the past week, I've been hanging around the Dunphy household quite a lot. I really enjoyed being in their company and I have the feeling they thought the same about me. It was nice to know I had people I could rely on if something happened while I was alone. I was used of being alone, but it can get scary sometimes. One time, back in London, I thought there were burglars. I was so scared; I didn't know what to do. I had nothing to protect myself with. Turned out it was just the wind. Since then, I always kept a baseball bat next to my bed.

I helped my dad in the kitchen. We were making the lasagna for tonight.

"So, Alice, how's your love life", my dad asked.

"Dad, we've been here a week. It's pretty much the same as in England", I laughed.

"I know, honey. What about Luke?"

"What about him?"

"He's nice."

"That's correct."

"And even I know he's handsome."

"Dad, where are you going with this?"

"He seems like a great guy to, you know, date."

"Oh, come on Dad! I hope you're joking."

"It's just, you always pick the bad ones to date."

"Thank you", I said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry honey, but you know I'm right."

"I just always think they're nice and everything, but you know me, always making the wrong choices."

"Once again, Luke seems really nice."

"I know dad, but I'm just not looking for anything right now."

Right then we heard the front door open.

"I'm back from the store", my mom yelled.

"no need to yell mom, we're here", I said, laughing.

The Dunphy's would arrive at 7.30 pm. It was now almost 6.30, so I decided to take a shower. As the warm water hit me, I got lost in my thoughts. My parents really seem to like Luke. Funny. I guess I get them. After seeing your daughter being mistreated in a past relationship, you want to seek the right guy for her. And I mean, they're not wrong. Luke is funny and nice. And let's not forget the looks. But I just got out an awful relationship, I don't want one now. I still can't believe how that jerk of an ex treated me! You know what they say Alice: "love makes you blind". Copy that.

I realised I should get out of the shower when I saw my wrinkled fingers. I chose a basic outfit, which consisted of a band shirt and some old Levi's.

It was soon 7.30 and the Dunphy's arrived.

"Hey, welcome", I said while hugging everyone.

"Love the house", I heard Phil say. We took everyone's jacket and all got seated.

"It smells really good", Luke said.

"Thank you," my dad answered," Alice helped making the lasagna."

We all scooped up some lasagna and started eating it.

We were all talking to each other as if we had known each other for years. Suddenly, the conversation was about my obsession with old/dead musicians.

"You should see her room. It's like going into a time machine", my mom laughed.

"That's so cool! Can we see it", Haley asked.

"Oh uh, sure", I answered hesitantly.

So Luke, Haley, Alex and I went upstairs to my room.

"Voila, here it is", I said as I opened the door.

"Wow, I didn't know you could play instruments", Alex said.

"Yes, I love making music."

"And listening to it I see", Luke said, looking at my vinyl collection.

"Alice, your room is really cool", Haley said. The other two agreed.

"Thank you!"

We stayed in my room a bit longer, until we thought we should go downstairs again. Haley and Alex went first. Luke was still in my room, looking at my guitars.

"I would love to play the guitar", Luke said.

"I could teach you if you want."

"Really", he asked me while smiling.

"Of course! Come on now, let's go downstairs", I said waiting at the door.

"You are literally the coolest chick I know", he said, passing by me.

"I know", I joked.

We were all back at the table, when my parents had to say something.

"Alice already knows it, but in two days, we are leaving for a month. Now, Alice can stay alone, but- "

"Of course, we can take care of her. She's amazing and we already love her", Claire interrupted my dad.

"Thank you", my mom said to Claire and Phil.

The Dunphy's stayed until 12.30 am. Afterwards I went to bed. While trying to fall asleep, I thought of the month I would spend alone. Well, with the Dunphy's. I had a feeling it would be very nice.