002

Finally.

For the first time since arriving in the States Jasper had managed to evade his security team. It was something he'd never dare do in his own country, even here it was dangerous. Even if his people who lived here recognised him, it wouldn't be as bad as in his native Europe.

He kept his head down, just in case, and had on a pair of pre-worn jeans and a t-shirt. His hair was mussed up unlike its normal put together no hair out of place style. Last was a pair of snickers, he'd never worn snickers before and was surprised how comfortable they were.

Walking into the bar people turned to him and he internally froze, until he realised none had recognition in their eyes. He almost smiled at that. Even in regular clothes, he stood out enough that people took note of him. As long as they didn't recognise him, he didn't mind.

It was even tempting to find a woman to spend the rest of the night with. One who wouldn't know who he was, who wouldn't see dollar signs when she looked at him. A woman he could be sure desired him more than the wealth he came with.

That though, couldn't be. So he came to the bar to enjoy what would most likely turn out to be his last experience with freedom. The weight of responsibility was already being placed on him. Whether he liked it or not and he definitely didn't like it.

The bar he'd chosen was in a three-star hotel. He might want to slum it, be ordinary, but he wasn't stupid. There wasn't any need to make it easy for any kidnappers. Not that he wasn't capable of taking care of himself.

Finding an empty seat he was immediately approached by the bartender. She was skinny, with a chest that seemed too big for her frame and hair dyed a brutal black. Her smile was sultry and inviting, her eyes calculating as she gave him a heavy-lidded look. They were a deep ocean blue, made even more so by the heavy eyeliner she had on.

She was beautiful, he conceded. While her low ridding leather outfit was a departure from the women he was used to, the mercenary look of her was just the same. He wasn't sure if he wanted to while away the last moments of his freedom with a random female. But if he did, he'd take one like her as a last resort.

"What will it be darling?" She asked.

He gave her a bland but charming smile. "A beer."

"Hmm, local or foreign like you?" She teased, her voice becoming even more sultry.

"Local." He replied.

"Well darling, we have a few of those. What'll be your poison?"

His smile widened a bit. "Surprise me." He invited.

"A man after my own heart." She teased as she went to get his beer.

Jasper looked around the place to see quite a few of the people in the bar avert their eyes. A number of women gave him slow suggestive smiles. None of them though piqued his interest.

He really just wanted to be on his own, he realised. To contemplate the change his life was about to take. Besides, human women really wouldn't cut it tonight. He had that restlessness in him that could only be gratified by sex with another shifter and that, he couldn't afford. Not anymore.

Turning back to the bar, he saw the bartender placing his beer on a coaster. She winked at him before going to tend to another patron. He took a swig out of his beer and was surprised by its taste. Maybe he was being a European snob but he hadn't expected the beer to be this good.

It had a rich taste he normally associated with wine but was undoubtedly beer. It was a perfect blend with a unique flavour he couldn't place and rather refreshing. He looked at the label noting it so that he could have his people import it for him.