6. Lucifer At The Cross

Lucifer kept his eyes on Jesus.

He waited with mounting anticipation for his moment of revenge. Without realizing it, he was growing in stature, his fear and excitement building in him a tower of strength and defiance. In his evil soul he could feel the moment of death arrive.

He unsheathed his great sword and raised it toward heaven with both hands and threw back his head to let loose a demonic scream.

“This soul is mine!”

With a swift, deliberate stroke, he brought his mighty sword down upon the head of Jesus, penetrating his neck and shoulders, to lodge the poisonous blade in the very center of his heart.

To Lucifer it was a ritual of death like thousands of others but far more satisfying, as if all of the power and grief and pain of countless other deaths went into that killing stroke. He could hardly contain his excitement as he anticipated his final moment of revenge when he would look into the eyes of his ancient enemy and gloat. Pain and death were only the beginning.

He looked down at Jesus trembling, his dark feathers rustling and quivering with the shaking of his body. He folded his wings around him, wrapping himself tightly, his sword forgotten in one hand, the tip dragging in the earth, a look of fierce expectation on his face. He did not have long to wait.

Jesus was dead and now he would feast upon his soul in hell. But the look in the eyes of Jesus as he raised his spiritual head and looked straight at him was the most terrible thing that Lucifer had ever seen.

*****