Ch.52 Searchlight

Chapter 52

Clare sighed with her heart full as Ares covered her shoulder with soft kisses. He held her to his chest and buried his face in the crook of her shoulder. Under the sheets their bodies glided over each other like silk. Clare slowly turned in his arm and looked up into his beautiful eyes. Ares smiled down at her and leaned down for a kiss.

"Ares..."

"Yes, baby?"

Clare felt her heart start to flutter in her chest. She didn't know if it was from what she was about to ask him or if it was the way he couldn't stop kissing every inch of her skin.

"What did you mean that day back at the apartment?" Clare asked.

"What do you mean?" Ares moved his nose along her jaw and then buried it in her hair. His fingers began to slide down her stomach and toward the spot between her legs.

"You said......" Clare's breathing hitched as Ares teased her. His hands stayed between her legs but not quite touching her.

Ares looked up and smiled, "Continue, I'm listening."

"You said you were ready to give me your name," Clare tightened her thighs around his hand.

"I was," Ares smiled. "I am."

"What does.......what do you mean?" Clare's lips parted from how her body was trying to move closer to him. Her head rolled back as she bit down on her lip.

Ares suddenly sighed. He removed his hand away from Clare and moved on top of her. Clare quickly parted her legs for him and lifted her head to capture his lips.

"It means I want to marry you, Princess," Ares whispered.

Clare's eyes opened, "What?"

"I'm not asking right now," Ares laughed. "Not like this. I promise I will do it properly. With your father's permission and all."

"Are you making fun of me?" Clare frowned.

"No, baby," Ares kissed her cheek. "I am being absolutely serious. I want to marry you. I want to make you my wife."

"How....." Clare searched the god's eyes. "How will that work?"

"Let's see," Ares rolled back onto the bed and sighed. "I'll put a ring on you. Then you will pick out a white dress. I'll wait for you at the altar. You will be blushing all the way t-"

"No, not that," Clare sat up. She pulled the sheets up to cover herself as her hair fell over her shoulder. "I mean with everything going on. How can we marry?"

"You don't think this will go on forever, do you?" Ares raised a brow. "Then again maybe this is the perfect time to get married. We can unit the two sides."

"No," Clare shook her head. "I can't marry you right now."

"I know, Clementine," Ares sat up beside her. "Trust me. I know things are bad right now."

Clare began to chew on her bottom lip once again. Her brilliant eyes watched the god of war as she sat with worry all over them. Ares looked over at her and frowned before holding up his arm.

"Come here," he said.

"I'm not going to ask you to choose me," Clare said quietly.

"What?" Ares lowered his hand.

"From now on I am not going to ask you to choose me in this war anymore," Clare said.

Ares didn't reply. He stared at her, fighting his own war with his mind and heart. He watched the gray eyes to see if he spotted any anger or hurt. But all he saw was the girl he would give up his life for and he knew she would do the same. But there was a whole ocean of trouble between them.