Assassination Attempt No. 1 - The Woman Who Never Told the Truth

Alright, so, listen up. This isn't really a warning, but since the summary mentions baby murder, I just wanted to point out that nothing graphic is described, just a person contemplating killing a helpless infant. I don't know why I'm specifically mentioning this tbh, but it unsettled me to even think about hurting a newborn for the purpose of writing this, so idk if I'm just soft or what. I tried to mention it as little as possible. No babies were harmed in the making of this, only my soft, soft heart.

Happy reading...

oooooooooo

Even when she was being impulsive, Azula had a plan.

Whenever she decided to do something, her mind would offer up a plan of action with such ease, she sometimes wondered if there was a part of her subconscious that was always scheming in the background, just waiting on her to make up her mind about what she wanted next.

It could very well be true. If the last decade was any indication, there were a lot of things Azula didn't and would never understand about her own mind. Tonight, however, she would make headway on that for the first time.

Averting the palace guards was easy. Father had her memorize the routes and Zuzu hadn't bothered to change them in the slightest since he became Fire Lord. Not that she was complaining... Now there was just the climb. The window was tens of stories in the air, and using fire to propel herself was unwise, as it would attract unwanted attention in the dark of the night.

As she readied her climbing gear, Azula had a sudden urge to leave everything and abandon her mission. She faltered. Then right on clue, she heard her father's voice.

Yes, by all means... Leave... Tuck your tail between your legs like the miserable bitch you are and let your useless brother keep thinking he got away with everything...

Ozai had become a common visitor of hers since she heard of his death in prison about a year ago. He'd hung himself allegedly, and it still affected her less than what she'd found out a week ago. Zuko and Mai had a daughter. Something in her ignited again after learning the two traitors were living out their dream in the palace that was always supposed to be hers.

She could no longer stay away, not while their heir was sleeping in her old room, growing and waiting to take the throne her parents stole. Zuko didn't get to have everything. He already had their mother's love, her friends' love, the world's adoration, her throne, her palace, her whole life, and it was about time he finally lost something again.

Once Azula abandoned her doubt, once she started climbing for the little princess' room without hesitation, her father went silent. All the voices did. If she hadn't already been sure that was a clear sign she was on the right path and should go forward. She cherished the silence as she stepped into the palace through the window.

A small blue flame in her palm allowed her to quickly find the crib in the middle of the room. She carried a knife with her, yet as she was walking over to the baby, she realized it would be so vulnerable, she would probably have no difficulty killing it without a weapon at all. She almost laughed at her own silliness. Holding a newborn at knifepoint was illogical. Infants were weak and defenseless by design. At the mercy of whatever adult was closest to them, and tonight that was Azula.

She eyed the door briefly, identifying four guards creating shadows over the light coming in under the door from the hallway. Not enough. Not tonight. Not against her. She moved back the red fabric falling over the crib and her gaze fell on the child. A child that was very much awake. That deviated from the plan. No matter...

Her grip on the knife tightened. If it was quick, the baby wouldn't even have time to let out a sound. Azula couldn't afford to wait. Anything could set off the child and expose her position to every guard in the vicinity. She knew what to do. One smooth movement... Yet somehow, she found herself captivated by the infant's gaze. It was much smaller than Azula had expected, and suddenly she realized she'd never seen one this young and this close. It was so small...