Chapter 12-A Visit with Santa

Rick woke up peering his eyes out of the window seeing the snowfall against the window. He knew this was a day to stay curled up in bed warm under the cover; however, the phone started to ring. He slid over picking it up and groggily said, "Hello?"

"Ready for your next Christmas destination?" Anna asked sounding enthusiastic.

"Suppose that would depend on what it is?"

"Meet me on the street of miracles. See you soon."

After she hung up he got out of bed contemplating what she meant until it came to him. He showered and shaved getting rid of the shadow on his face. Once he was ready he got himself downstairs knowing it was probably going to be too far to walk in the winter weather so he took a cab.

"Macy's Department Store?" he asked the driver.

The cab drove down a couple of streets where minutes later he found himself at the front entrance of Macy's. He got out and paid the driver admiring the store windows seeing everything lit up seeing Anna standing beside the doors.

"So you figured it out?" she asked, seeing him walking forward.

"Miracle on 34th Street."

"Very good, I thought we would go see Santa."

"But isn't Santa just for young kids?"

"Hell no!" Anna exclaimed, opening the door. "No one is too old for Santa."

She led Rick inside seeing everything was beautifully decorated where the inside of one big rotunda was a giant tree that reached the ceiling that sparkled with brilliant multi-colored lights and old traditional ornaments.

On the 3rd floor, they walked out seeing what looked like a regular winter wonderland complete with Santa's village seeing the line of kids standing with their parents all waiting to see on Santa's lap.

"Every year my Mom would take me here to see Santa telling him what I want for Christmas."

"I think I stopped believing years ago."

Anna's expression on her face was one of sheer disappointment. 

"I mean eventually I knew it was my parents all along who had given me all my gifts and not some overweight guy in a red suit coming down our chimney with black fire soot." 

"Wow, wouldn't have taken you for a cynic."

"I stopped believing when my parents told me many Decembers ago that they were getting a divorce."

"I'm sorry, that is really hard."

It was half an hour later before they reached the front of the line seeing an old bearded guy sitting in a golden chair.

"Well, I don't get many adult children," he said. "Have you both been good this year?"

"Yes, very much so," Anna said, chiming in. "Rick?"

"Yeah, same goes for me."

"Could we still get our picture taken with you?"

"Of course, you can stand on either side of my chair."

Rick and Anna stood on either side posing and smiling collecting a photo from Santa's elf photographer.

"You know I just realized I need to get a gift on this floor for a friend?" Anna said. "You mind waiting here?"

"No, go right ahead."

Moments later one of the Macy's elves made the announcement Santa was taking a break. Rick stood looking at all of the faux snow and decorated trees.

"You enjoying your visit here?" Santa said.

Rick turned his head seeing Santa speaking to him in front of a group of lighted reindeer.

"Oh....yes. I haven't really been here before."

"It looked like you two were close in line."

"Yeah, she is just showing me around while I am in town."

Santa just nodded and said, "Remember love can be found when you least expect it, and if you keep your heart open you will find the one that lasts. I know it hasn't been easy for you, Rick." 

"I never told you my name though," he replied puzzled. "How do you know me?"

"Rick!" Anna announced.

Rick turned back seeing Anna walking up with a big shopping bag by her side but when he turned back he saw the Macy's Santa Claus had disappeared.