3

•CHAPTER THREE•

With Edmund in the lead, the group of four crept into the building, swords, crossbows, and daggers raised

Large bells hung from the ceiling, all having ropes that could be used to ring them. Large stone statues of what appeared to be past kings and queens of Narnia, those before the Pevensies, lined the walls.

In the middle of the room was a small, round table that held multiple books, scrolls, and candles.

"Uh," Eustace said nervously from the doorway. "I'm ready to go when you are."

The four ignored him. Instead, Edmund pulled out his electric torch–which Caspian had given back to him when they first came onto the ship–and turned it on. There was an open book sitting on the table. Diana put a finger to the paper, and when she pulled away, the pad of her finger was covered in smudged, red ink.

"It's fresh." She warned, scanning their surroundings again. The room was dark, but a small amount of light filtered through cracks in the ceiling, creating large shadows. A threat could be hiding anywhere.

"Who are all these people?" Lucy asked, her eyes reading over the words on the page. They were names. Multiple of them were crossed out. Others had numbers written next to them.

"Why have they been crossed out?" Edmund wondered aloud, scanning over the lines, names and numbers.

"It looks like some kind of fee." His younger sister responded, running a finger down the leather edge of the book.

But Caspian and Diana knew better.

"Slave traders." They breathed out, shooting each other worried glances.

They didn't know about this.

They should have known about this.

A loud chime burst through the air and the group jumped away from the table as battle cries rang out from above them. Diana pulled her sword, jerking her head up to see men sliding down the ropes.

They were hiding in the bells.

All chaos broke out.

Shouts filled the air and the four were separated as men seemed to attack from all sides, raining down from the bells above.

"Look out!" Caspian cried, shooting a man in the back who was about to jump on Diana.

Edmund engaged in combat with three men, knocking one out with his torch before pulling his sword and kicking another in the stomach.

Lucy grunted, kicking one in the gut and launching him away from her. She slammed the pommel of her sword against his temple, knocking him out cold.

Caspian loaded another arrow into his crossbow but was forced to draw his sword when two men came at him, punches ready.

Diana took the brute force of it all and this time, she didn't lose herself in the battle like she normally would. Fear filled her stomach and she felt as if she might throw up.