Chapter 1: Adelina

Memories fill me—the memories of the past. My most treasured one is my mother. I was only a child. She told me the story of Cibbon and the Goddess of Death. There was only the positive side, as my mother was very optimistic. She didn't want me to think about the dark side of the world. I hear her voice in my head, reciting the story engraved in my mind.

"Imbalka was once balanced. Death and Life ruled side by side. In time, they had children, Fear, and Love. Love was always on Life's right-hand side, while Fear was on Death's right-hand side. The two children guarded their ideas carefully.

Fear cherished the ideas of respect and honesty. Love enjoyed the concepts of faith and prosperity.

Cibbon, a young male Panthorian, and Death played a game of Drakoi. Death won. The next day Death wound up dead. Cibbon didn't murder her, but was blamed for her death. Life ordered Love and Fear to hunt him down and kill him. By the time Fear got to Cibbon, Cibbon had a young child, one that was the age of ten.

I am sorry, little one. That is all I know of the story, my child." My mother told me. Her voice was a soft blanket of snow, to protect me from the dangers of winter. The memory leaves me as soon as it arrives.

Wolfe arrived at the brothel with Violet, Sunflower, and Rose behind him. He waved at me and another memory surfaced. This time a memory I thought I buried deep in my soul.

"Adelina, I have to go. Your mother is dead; I have a debt to pay. You are a young adult now. Mother taught you how to kill." His voice was treading on dangerous grounds. "You will always be my midnight assassin." That nickname will be with me for many years to come. The memory left me again.

I smiled as Wolfe reached me. His ruffled hair is smooth to the touch. His hair was silky and when tied in the traditional Tamchian brothel bun, he has an air of elegance around him.

"How are the guests at your home? I heard two of them were Drakimborns." His smile is innocent, but his eyes show signs of pain and betrayal, but also honesty. Wolfe has a way of lightening everyone's mood.

"Yes, two of them are Drakimborns. I was scared of how they came to me suddenly, especially in such a big group. They had two blue Drakims and a weird Faery Drakim, I think that's what Shifter called it. They can't even pronounce the Tamchin 'L.' Tibor is a foxlin and a demlock mix. He likes my trench coat, and he has a Gryiffon. Then there was a Woodland Flif. He had a Briller and a Dire Wolf. Shifter and Nightwing are the two Drakimborns. I liked being around Nightwing. We have a similar background."

A young, Eklandian noble looked at me and smiled. I smiled back at him. His silks droop low on his chest, revealing a muscular upper-half. The silks are bright and cryptic. It has a scatter of colours on them. I glide over to him. Wolfe looks at me and smiles. For every noble I talk with, I get ten more of the Tamchi currency, Saburn.

"Hello, M'Lady." The man grabs my hand and places a kiss on the knuckles. His lips are velvet. The small motion brings a smile to my lips.

"Hello, how old are you?" I gently place my wrist back down to my hip. My long tail wags in expectancy, predicting his next move.

"Old enough to know, you are the most beautiful Panthorian I've met." Judging by his voice, he said that line often enough that he doesn't believe in it anymore.

"I can't have any customers yet. Do you want to sit down and chat?" I slide the words out of my mouth. He gives a subtle nod. I head to the back of the courtyard. Once there, a maiden drops by and delivers chi tea. I listen as his smooth voice speaks. He talks about how much money gets paid to him each day, from the Eklandian thriftiness. He says the nobles get more than 3000 Saburn a day. I smile and continue to mask my real goal.

"Have you heard of Midnight Assassin?" He asks. I looked at him and nodded.

"Everyone has heard about her, even the Tamchian nobles. Why do you ask? Not many dares ask that here. She or he is our only major assassin in Tamchi. I do not aspire to have such a terrible job." He nods in a deep sympathy. If only he knew. I am the devil in disguise for him, I guess.

"Well, Adelina, it has been a most pleasurable evening. I do hope that when you are of age, you come to visit me in Ekland." His voice can't hide his inevitable lust for me. I bring all men and women down on their knees when they talk to me.

"Have a good rest of your night." I kneel on one of my knees and bow my head in submission. His eyes linger on my exposed skin for a while. His eyes send shivers down my spine. They are knife-like piercing through my skin, searching for my secrets.