The First Taking

My name is Detective Joanna Wolff.

And this-, this is one of those cases that still keep me awake at night. So consider this my warning, if you want to stop reading, now is the time.

Kaitlyn Becker was a thirty year old Caucasian woman. She lived with her boyfriend, she worked as a nurse. And she was abducted on the morning of August first.

She was last seen during the night shift, at the hospital she worked in. We investigated the case according to protocol. We spoke to hospital staff, and everyone else on-call.
Then, we spoke to her boyfriend. His eyes were red from all the crying.

All he said was, 'Det-detective, every minute without her, I feel like dying.'

Two days after she disappeared, we received an anonymous call.
"There's a woman's body in the sewer beneath the hospital."

We drove as fast as possible, and raced to the site.
And this is the part we could not believe...Kaitlyn Becker wasn't dead, she was alive.

At first glance, we thought she looked okay. But after we looked past the sewage, we noticed her tongue was carved out from her mouth.
We called an ambulance, and took her to the hospital. She was too weak to scream, and without her lips, she could barely speak.

I told her, 'Everything will be okay.'

She nodded her head.

I asked, 'Did you escape?'

And then she spoke, her voice as faint as a whisper.
"I didn't escape—I was returned."

We spent the next week trying to find out who did this. We searched her house, and examined her for fingerprints. There was no sign of sexual assault. No demands for ransom.

All we know is that the person who did this is a monster.

But you see, that isn't the scary part. This is the part that gives me nightmares. The part I didn't expect.

Seven days after she was found, Kaitlyn Becker was taken again.