The Killing

I still remember the day I woke up in the hospital.
The weather outside was dull, yet the sun was at its highest. There was the smell of fresh rainfall that seeped in through the windows and I could feel the stares of a dozen men right at me.

Out of all of them, the only face I could remember was my lieutenant's. He steps closer, and bends down beside my ears.

I feel his breath against my ear when he whispers,
'Kaitlyn Becker was taken again.'

I fight my way up. The needles and tubes providing some discomfort.

He shushes me, 'We know' he whispers, 'We saw the camera footage.'

He takes a pause, then speaks again.

'After he shot you, he took Kaitlyn to the hospital basement on a gurney. He entered his car, and got inside. And Kaitlyn—'

His voice breaks. The once ever so peaceful voice of the lieutenant, breaks with fear and uncertainty. It seems he has still not come to terms with what has happened.

'Kaitlyn got up from the stretcher, kissed him and sat inside the car.'

I remember her lips. Its image has been printed deep into my memory. The saliva drooling from either side of her mouth. Her eyes. Eyes of excitement.
Of absolute sadism.

I adjust my posture and speak my first words since the attack.
'Did you identify who he was?'

The lieutenant nodded his head, and snapped his fingers at one of the officers near the entrance. They gave him a photograph, that was just big enough to fit on the palm of my hand.

'His name is Damien Cole, he's a nurse who works in the same hospital as Kaitlyn. While Kaitlyn worked in general surgery, and had experience assisting surgeons inside the operation room, Damien was the nurse in charge for the psychiatry patients.'

Fuck. It strikes me like a sickening image.
Damien wasn't experienced with surgery, so that means Damien didn't amputate those parts from her.

Kaitlyn Becker did it to herself.

The lieutenant looks at me, he doesn't have to say anything. He knows I pieced it together.

He continues talking, 'Damien's fingerprints were found all over Kaitlyn's apartment. His prints are also suspected to be over the body of Kaitlyn's boyfriend.'

'Where are they now?' I ask him, and he gently shakes his head.

'We found the vehicle 3 miles from here. It was abandoned.'

I shut my eyes and pull one of the leads from my chest.

'There was one thing we found though.'

I looked at him, awaiting an answer.

'Her eyes.'

My insides drop.

'Her eyes were in the backseat of the car.'

I force myself up, and sit at the edge of the bed. I look at the officers and bark my orders.

'Jo, you need some rest.' says the detective.

'No. They're doing it again. It's the same game. I don't know why they're playing it yet, but it's the same fucking game. I'm going to receive a call that tells me where she is, but this time, it's going to be different.'