Clues

Marceline was walking along the street. The breeze was a little freezing for her but she got used to the temperature when she moved to New York a year ago, along with her team Fairix, transferred to Canderson High on a mission. As she made a turn towards the house that was designed with a cottage theme, the garden trimmed beautifully with the bushes at the corner covered by different kinds of flowers, guarded by white fence.

Walking through the front yard, she turned the doorknob, not surprised to see a broomstick sweeping the floor with no hands needed and a flying duster, dusting off the cabinets on her right with precious antiques displayed and pictures hung on the deep violet wallpaper.

Her eyes caught a woman in the dining room with a small cauldron in front of her on the table–mini spell books and instruction papers became a so-called mess on the table while beakers and tubes were floating around in circle, making sure there were no spill or there's not enough room to put on it.

She put up a sideway smile and greeted, "Hello, Aunt Sabrina."

The woman looked up, her blonde Bob cut hair waved up a little and her smile was dark in a brightened way and said, "Hello, Marceline."

The blacked haired girl checked the drapes had secured the window so no one would know or spy on what they were doing.

Some of her neighbours or shop employees would ask "Excuse me, Marceline. What are your aunts doing in the house?" or "Are they investigators?" Even a little girl once asked "Are they on a top secret mission or something?"

None of those aren't exactly close to the answer but she replied, "They're photographers. They're just doing what the photographers do; drying the photos, taking shots at different angles."

It is true that both of her aunts were working as photographers for a living but not exactly. They're both witches and fairies in their blood. They decided to raise Marceline on planet Earth, trying to live a normal life with no magic boundary—except if it's in real need. However, they were still giving Marceline some magic lessons—both witch and fairy—to continue its knowledge of magic.

She hung her denim jacket up to the coat hanger as she looked at what her dear aunt was doing. Proceeding to the kitchen to grab her snack to fill up her grumbling stomach, she noticed someone is not here.

"Where's Aunt Sally?" She asked while opening the aluminium wrapper. Her teeth grazed a bite of her pretzel.

"You know how she is, trying to find 'love' in another realm. I think it's pathetic for her to do such a thing."

"Well, she's probably desperate for it. I mean, don't you two reconsider finding your soulmate, getting married, having kids?" She leaned forward on the table in front of her aunt, waiting for her answer to her question.

Her face tilted up, showing pride yet humble in her eyes while explaining, "We both used to when we were in our early twenties. Your mother was only a teenager that time. But I was so caught up in my studies that I didn't have time to date a man. So, I gave up and decided to live my life as a single woman instead while your aunt Sally. . .well, you know the rest," she smiled brightly, rolling her eyes.

Marceline chuckled in response; her aunt being independent on being a single human or witch being.

"I'm gonna go to my room."

"Be down for dinner." A loud orange poof of cauldron flew in the house.

"Got it," she left the dining room, walking up to her room to get change.

Two hours haven't passed the clock. She doesn't know what she's going to do in exactly two hours. 'Maybe I should read a book. That'll pass the time.' She got up from her bed, walking to Aunt Sabrina's study room. Her aunt wouldn't mind her niece reading a bunch of books she kept since she's a half breed.

Staring at the books resting on the shelves, she doesn't know which to begin. She had read almost half of the whole rack. There were lots of books with a different genre; supernatural, fantasy, horror, romance, mystery, thrillers. Each genre was placed in their rightful sections, perfectly stacked. Besides that, there was also knowledge about all kinds of topics, for instance, galaxy, the economic works, financial management too.

As she was searching for a book that would wake the fascination in her, her eyes caught a book where a butterfly, the symbol of Winxea, was shown. It was never there before nor her aunt mentioned.

'What's this?' She thought as she pulled it out from the shelf. She didn't know if she missed out reading or probably was kept on the shelf for so long, no one would bother to read. How come she never noticed this?

The cover was made of hard leather with good edging on it. The colour hasn't faded yet the title is still visible to see, only it was covered by dust. She brushed it off to read the title.

"THE HISTORY OF WINXEA," the bold words labeled in dusted gold calligraphy writing.

Her eyes scanned to find the author's name but it was nowhere to be found. Opening the cover, she was expected to see the contents and it showed many topics; Mythical creatures and where to find them, the use of magical plants, types of magical spells, history of magic creators and many more.

But one topic seemed to catch her eyes, The Lost Kind: Shining Sun. She quickly took an interest to turn the pages to read the topic. Once she found it, a picture of the sun, shining brightly along with texts about its whereabouts. She took a seat as she devoured each word pasted in those pages.

'This is the one! These have to be the clues to our search.' She gained more and more knowledge as the time clicked away. She swiped it to find blank pages. Her hand swiped numerous times and it only showed a few pages to have the information about the shining sun topic. It only showed what kind of shining sun is and the ability of gaining the power.

'This can't be it. There's gotta be more.'

Shock and question marks written all over her face. She couldn't believe what she had seen. They were on a quest to find the lost Shining Sun fairy in order to stop the evil, the first step in their mission. They only need to find someone who's related to the last Shining Sun fairy.

"What? But that's impossible! Miss Grace told us there was one and he or she is still breathing on this very planet."

She took out her cellphone in the shape of a butterfly wing that fit her hand as she dialed numbers on it. She was waiting for the other person to call on the line. Her mouth muttered,  praying for the person to pick it up quickly, she finally heard a familiar voice.

"Marcy?"

"Elly. . .I think I found something. I'll bring it to the lair," she got up from her seat.

"Marcy . . . be more specific. What did you find?" She asked bluntly, not expecting what her answer would take her by surprise.

"It's a book. It has something to do with our mission in the first place." Her eyebrows dipped down as she fixed her eyes on the book leather.

Thoughts on the chapter?

Love it? Give it a vote an comment
Don't forget to share with your friends too 👍😉
Hope you enjoyed it, love you, mwah!