Chapter 4: Chugging Challenge

After a month of training, I eventually beat even the captain of the guards, so I was told I was trained enough to at least hold my ground, but I still had to participate with morning practice. However, seeing as my aura was still going everywhere and I did not have the years of training Carles and Ein, so I was separated and had to practice on my own as the new recruits tend to freeze up whenever they are around me. Estelle was busy with her county, Carles was training new recruits and Ein was busy with the dukedom. Whenever we were together, I found it tough to handle their presence and this led to awkward situations so I would usually excuse myself. Usually when I left, I could hear them laugh together and be happy... I guess I would never be able to fill that gap between me and them as I was simply too old. I missed my chance. While practicing my sword technique, I heard a crunch, and I swung my blade behind only to find Kelson there.

'Lady Mei... you have a visitor.' He said, I look up and see the Marquess Emel standing behind him.

'Marquess, I wasn't expecting you.' I grab a towel and dry off the sweat.

'What can I do for you?' I ask, he was holding a crushed bouquet of flowers and I then remember Estelle was meeting up with a man, I think. Did he see?

'I... do you have a moment to talk?' He asks, I nod and Kelson leaves. He sits down on the bench and I sit beside him, but I was unsure what kind of advice I could possibly give him.

'I assume those flowers were not meant for me.' I smile, but he smiles back but puts them on the ground and sighs deeply.

'Did I make the wrong choice by leaving?' He asks, I look at him and I hold up my shoulders.

'I think it went wrong when you rejected her feelings but leaving might have played a part too.' I commented, it seems that brought him into a dip even more and I sigh.

'You can't fret on what you did in the past if your feelings are sincere you should just tell her. She's not deaf.' I said, he looks at me it feels like I hit a nail on the head.

'You make it sound so simple, but she is the lady I have served since she was a child of this house. I watched her grow up.' I scratch my head and I thought of something I had read in a book.

'How about a sparing match? You think more clearly when you fight, that's when your most honest.' I said, he seemed confused, but I already grabbed my sword and wave him over.

'Are you sure about this my lady?' He asks, he gets up and I nod confident.

'I beat the leader of the wolves three times; I am sure I can handle myself against a Marquess.' I grin, an evil smile appeared on Emel's face. He took off his cape and drew his sword.

'Very well, let us see what my lady can do.' I stood in front of him and we waited for the right moment and then launched at each other. Both were blocking and I notice Emel was good at holding his ground, so I decide to continue our conversation.

'Why do you humans make it so difficult? What is stopping you this time? You have a title, land and money to keep her satisfied, so why not confess?' I ask, he blocks my attack and kicks me across the yard.

'Because she is... I can explain it, but I watched her grow up and having feelings for her would go against everything I stand for as a knight.' He said, I got back on my feet and strike at him.

'But you are no longer a knight, you're a Marquess.' I said, I manage to strike him, and he jumps back.

'Yet I still feel conflicted.' He said, so I ask the next question.

'Did she fall for another man or are there other suitors?' I ask, he got angry and kicked me again.

'Not anyone that I wouldn't be able defeat.' He said with a smirk, I started to think he was enjoying the sparing. I decide to finish it up and after a few more powerful swings he was on the ground. I had my blade against his throat and my foot on his chest.

'Then my question is this; do you love her or simply just admire her? They might feel the same, but they are different.' It grows quiet and he looks up at me. Why did he have that blank expression? Had no one ever asked him that before? I hold out my hand out to him and I help him back on his feet.

'Just think about it... I hope it will make your choice easier.' I said with a big smile, his cheeks suddenly got flushed and I he avoids eye contact with me.

'Why are you so eager to help me? You don't know me that well.' He said, I smirk.

'And you don't me know me that long and yet you asked me for advice... Let us just say, I can sense you have a good heart and Estelle deserves someone who cares as much about her as you do. She's my sister after all, and I just want her to be happy.' I said, he looks worried at me.

'What about your own happiness? Don't you want to find someone?' He asks, I put my sword on my shoulder and thought about it for a bit.

'Well... maybe if I find the right person. Maybe someone like you... I should hold that as a good comparison.' I said with a bright smile, his face flushes red again and he quickly turns around.

'I am not a good comparison miss Mei; I am not that good.' He said, I hold up my shoulders and hit him on the back.

'Yeah, but you're the first person I actually feel comfortable around in this house so take it as complement.' I spoke.

'Lady Mei, we're going out for a drink? Are you coming?' One of the new recruits' shouts, I wave over and look back at Emel.

'Well, it's seems it is time for me to go, I...' Emel looked suddenly like a lost puppy. I saw him watch the new recruits and I realize they had gotten their armor today. He used to be a knight... maybe he wanted to come along.

'Do you maybe want to join too? We're celebrating the graduation of the new recruits becoming knights.' I ask, he looks at me and nods carefully, I smile brightly and grab him by the wrist.

'Alright, let us go!' I pull him along and we head out to the knight's pub.

It seems the mood was a bit gloom at first when I brought Emel along, but I then told them he was the famous knight who used to guard Estelle and they all lit up because a lot of cool stories were told about him to them. Seems the recruits had a lot of questions for him, but it was nice he was trying to get along with them though he acted stern at most times. Some of the senior knights also joined eventually and they sat by Emel's side as they were surprised to see him here. As I was friends with the recruits, I joined their table and had fun conversations and we laughed a lot.

'Alright, who is ready for the Chugging Challenge?' Ellen shouts, my sister's current personal guard girlfriend, we look at her as she got barrels of beer out and we all got big glasses which were filled.

'You recruit might think you're all that. Let us see if you can beat us seniors! Last one remains wins!' I look at the glass and gulp, but a smirk appears on my face.

'Alright, bring...'

'It on!' Emel sat across from me and grabbed Ellen's cup, seems he was going to join in too. He had a menacing grin on his face and all the senior knights gulped too. That was not a good sign!

'But he is not even a knight anymore, can he even join?' George, a friend, sitting beside me asks but he got a scary glare from him and George shut up.

'Alright, three, two, one and go!' We begin to chug, and a lot of people are cheering us on. After three cups, five already quit. After six, the rest of the recruits quit as well along with some seniors. After ten, Ellen also drops down and now it is only me and Emel left. Twenty cups down the line, I feel like throwing up, but I gave Emel an enticing glare and tried to chug down cup twenty-one, but I choked and dropped my cup. Emel was named Chugging Champion and I lay with my head on the table.

How could I lose to him? Ellen pats me on the back and grins.

'Don't worry kid, no one has ever defeated Emel before, so it was a losing battle.' She said, I look at her and got back up.

'Next time I will succeed!' I grin, my comrades comfort me and with our drunk heads we declared we would become great fighters instead.