The Blind Banker [11]

DI Dimmock stormed into the office, followed by the boys and a rather bewildered Sarah. Dimmock was clearly not in a good mood "I sent a couple of cars. The old hall is totally deserted,"

"Look, I saw the mark at the circus-that tattoo that we saw on the two bodies: the mark of the Tong," Sherlock explained.

"Lukis and Van Coon were part of a-a smuggling operation," John said. "Now, one of them stole something when they were in China; something valuable,"

"These circus performers were gang members sent here to get it back,"

"Get what back?" Dimmock asked.

"We don't know," John admitted hesitantly.

"You don't know. Mr. Holmes...I've done everything you asked. Lestrade, he seems to think your advice is worth something. I gave the order for a raid. Please tell me I'll have something to show for it-other than a massive bill for overtime,"

****

Sherlock leads John and Sarah into the living room where Elaina was staring at the picture over the fireplace.

"They'll be back in China by tomorrow," John noted.

"No," Elaina negated "they won't leave without what they came for,"

"We need to find their hide-out; the rendezvous," Sherlock walked closer to the photos, staring at them intensely. "Somewhere in this message, it must tell us,"

"Well, I think perhaps I should leave you to it," Sarah admitted embarrassed.

"No, no," John said "you don't have to go..." he looked around at Sherlock "...does she?" John turned back to Sarah "You can stay,"

"It would be better to study if you left now," Sherlock argued.

John threw a dark look at Sherlock before turning back to Sarah "He's kidding. Please stay if you'd like,"

Sarah smiled awkwardly "Is it just me, or is anyone else starving?"

Elaina couldn't help but raise her hand.

Sherlock gave her a pointed look.

Elaina shrugged "She asked,"

John opened the fridge to find it almost empty apart from a couple of bottles, a can, and what might well be an eyeball lying on a shelf.

Sherlock sat down at the dining table which was covered with photos, notes, and drawings of various pictograms.

"So this is what you do, you, John, and..." Sarah glanced over at Elaina "Sorry I never got your name,"

"I never gave it," Elaina said as she looked at all the pictures stuck to the mirror.

In the kitchen, John was searching through cupboards.

John twisted the lid off a jar of pickled onions, sniffed the contents, and recoiled at the smell "Oh!" he put the lid back on and continued his search.

Sarah pointed to the paper Sherlock was looking at "What are these squiggles?"

"They're numbers." Sherlock replied without looking round at Sarah "An ancient Chinese dialect,"

Sarah rolled her eyes "Oh, Right! Yeah, well, of course, I should have known that," she said sarcastically.

In the kitchen, John had found a small bag of Wotsits and was emptying them into a bowl.

Mrs. Hudson came to the door and spoke quietly "Ooh-ooh!"

John looked up and his face filled with grateful delight as Mrs. Hudson came in carrying a tray covered with a tea towel.