20- A Breaking Point

About an hour into our ride back, Kess announced that we should take a break to let the horses rest while they drank water and ate some food. June gracefully slid off of her horse, declaring that she was going to make sure there were no nearby threats.

I squinted my eyes at her, seizing the opportunity and announcing that my legs were stiff and I was going to go for a short walk to stretch them out. The others muttered a simultaneous "be safe" as I started walking in the same path June had taken.

I followed her for a few minutes as she circled the area where we were resting, searching around for any signs of trouble. When she was satisfied, she walked further away until she reached a small clearing composed of a stretch of grass surrounded by trees. I followed her into the clearing, knowing that she had been aware of my presence the entire time.

June turned around to face me, crossing her arms and arching a brow, as if daring me to accuse her of the attack on Vasanta.

"It was you," I said. I had meant for it to be a question but it came out as a statement instead. June did not look the slightest bit guilty as she replied. "Yes."

I froze, dumbfounded by her blunt honesty. "And the other two? The ones who put a steel collar around Orion?"

"Two of my most trusted Ember Soldiers" she explained with a bored tone. "They escaped after ensuring the king was... incapacitated."

I swallowed hard, trying to keep down my anger. "Why didn't you tell me? I mean, it's clear you wanted me to be the one to save Vasanta."

June scoffed, glancing away for the first time. "Sorry if I didn't want to stake the success of the mission on your ability to keep your mouth shut."

My hands curled into fists as I shook my head slowly, staring at the ground. "We could have figured out a better way to do it. You didn't have to resort to putting a nine-year-old's life in danger."

"Her life was never in danger, I had complete control over her safety the entire time" June snapped back. "You think I would have thrown her into the river if I didn't know it would be completely safe? I needed to paint you as a hero so I did just that. You're welcome."

"You don't understand, do you?" I asked, disgust thickening my words. "She's a child. She's going to have nightmares about last night for the rest of her life. The trauma will follow her-"

"She'll be better for it" June interrupted. "More cautious. Less trusting. The survival instinct I taught her might end up saving her life the next time somebody tries to attack her."

"How can you say that?" I growled. "Nobody is left better for having trauma. Your mother could have told you that"

"Don't you dare use her name as if you knew her," June hissed, stepping forward with the grace of a predator. "She was a Garner Champion who understood the sacrifices it would take to keep her loved ones safe. Some of us don't have the luxury of taking the high road. Hell knows Nox isn't going to play by your little rules, so instead of criticizing my choices, you should probably be on your knees thanking me!"

I opened my mouth but she continued before I could speak. "The Ember Court doesn't stand a chance without allies. You're looking at a three-against-three battle at best, but we already know Calius isn't likely to change his mind on remaining neutral. Orion is our only other option at increasing our forces. This is war, Wren. If I have to show the Earth King just how easily his child can be ripped away from him by Nox to convince him to join us, then I will. You're not the only one here who wants to protect your loved ones."

I ran a hand across my face. "So we're lying to our allies, now?" I sighed in exhaustion.

June stepped closer. "I want you to look at me when I say this," she started, tilting her nose down so the slope of it was level with my brows, the pale white scar stark on her otherwise flawless face. This close, I could truly see the similarity between her and Marlowe. The arched brows, the spray of freckles across her nose, the cupid's bow shape of her lips. But when I looked into her green eyes, I saw her separate from her half-brother, because Marlowe never would have been capable of admitting her next words.