ii. unordinary occasions

Octavia Corbynn (mc-you'll be reading from her pov) will have nicknames for the characters in this chapter, as she doesn't know their names yet.

For reference:
the brown haired boy; Viscount Tewkesbury
Strange-looking boy ; Enola Holmes
Bowler hat man ; Hitman Linthorn

"Curses!" I grumbled, lifting my pale blue dress slightly, to avoid tripping over the thick fabric yet again. I continued to stroll through the train carriage, my hand purse tinkling as I took each careful step.

I sighed, taking in the sights around me. The train I had boarded was headed back to London, my home. My rather noisy, polluted, and never-quiet home. I was sure to miss the calming countryside, with its billowing grass and fresh breeze.

A roaring, desperate shout pierced the quiet calm of the train carriage, so sudden and abrupt that I almost didn't hear it. I stopped in my tracks, confused and slightly alarmed, waiting to see if anything was amiss.

A few grunts escaped from the carriage next to me. I peered into the carriage window, now fully worried. A shocking sight was held before me. There, a man in a bowler hat was holding a young boy with long brown locks out of the train, so close to the edge that he nearly toppled out.

I looked around wildly, spotting a young boy in front of me stand hesitantly,
and although i faced his back, it was clear that he was lost in thought.

"Hey! You over there! There's a boy being held out of the carriage! Help me-" The strange boy in front of me spun around, evidently alarmed, and dashed towards the open carriage. He looked slightly strange, his stature too small, his lips too full, and his chest a bit larger then usual...

...but I didn't have time to think, for inside the carriage, the boy with long locks yelped harshly. I followed the strange boy inside the carriage. The bowler hat man hadn't noticed us walk in, as he was too busy trying to kill someone.

The strange boy with me grabbed a cane lying on the carriage seat, and whacked bowler hat man with such force that he fell over, crumbling to the ground, while holding his head in pain. I peered over his unconscious form, unsure of what to do, before stepping over him carefully.

The boy he had held out of the train hung precariously, his grip on the train door slowly slipping. His eyes pleaded with me to help him as he struggled to grasp the wooden doors. I made my way towards him, grabbed onto his body, and pulled him with all my might. Just as I thought I couldn't keep pulling, his feet landed miraculously onto the carriage floor.

He huffed in pain while mumbling a thanks. A few seconds later, the carriage darkened as the train entered a tunnel. Thankfully, I had already pulled the golden-haired boy out of harms way. The carriage door was not so lucky however, it smashed against the tunnel's wall and its broken pieces flew through the countryside.

The golden-locked boy's eyes paled, realising how close to death he had been. I, on the other hand, was freaking out on the inside while attempting to maintain my calm demeanour. It had been years since a boy was this close to me, I shifted slightly and did my best to subtly move away. Suddenly, the bowler hat man's body stirred, and he mumbled, going back into a conscious state.

"We've got to go. Now." I firmly stated, following the strange-looking boy out of the carriage, while pushing the brown haired boy along too. Looking back at the bowler hat man, still lying on the floor, rage and fury spilled over me. How dare he attempt to take someone's life away?