Chapter One

I secured the tape on the final box and placed the box on the stack near the door. With a deep sigh, I quickly moved to erase my final lesson off of my white board.

"You sure aren't acting like a person who just landed their dream job."

I turned around to see Catherine sitting with her legs crossed on one of my students desk. I shrugged slightly with a sad smile.

"I'm just going to miss my kids you know?" I said.

"Uh, no I don't know. How many times does a person get to land their dream job?" She said incredulous.

I smiled, "Reynolds Publishing is not my dream job exactly." I mumbled.

"Well it's damn near close to it. First an assistant, then an editor or maybe even an author. So come on, be hype." She giggled standing from the desk with glee.

I laughed. She's right of course. Reynolds Publishing was my dream job since I completed my Bachelors Degree in English Literature. Unfortunately, getting actually hired was damn near impossible. I settled for teaching at a local middle school with Catherine until my dream career of being an author can surface. Teaching was far from perfect and not even close to my dream, but I loved it nonetheless. Leaving my students was proven to be harder than I expected. Cat clapped, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Avaaaa, come onnn." She whined. "We have to be on the road soon if we want to reach Seattle before 8."

"Don't you ever get tired?"

"No, but I'm planning on it tonight. Let's gooo." She said.

I rolled my eyes before collecting the last of my things on my desk. She grabbed one of my boxes and tugged on me lightly as we headed for the door. With a final look at the room I've grown to love these pass two years, I turned off the lights and closed the door. I recieved a few waves and hugs from students and teachers, on my way to the parking lot and it warmed my heart. Cat on the other hand was bubbling silently at my side. She has been counting down to this weekend for the past month. We finally reached our cars and I unlocked my trunk to place the boxes with my supplies inside.

"I have to make a quick stop, so I'm going to meet you by your place. Just be ready." Cat said pointing her finger.

I rolled my eyes, something I tend to do a lot when I'm in her presence, and jumped in my car. Cat reversed out of the parking lot in her shiny, cherry red Kia next to my black Crossroad, displaying two different cars for two very different personalities. I Got home in under 20 minutes and quickly headed inside. Spot, my brown and white pug greeted me at the door as I expected. I laughed and kneeled down to pet and kiss him quickly.

"You missed mama huh Spot?" I said.

My boyfriend and I purchased him after we graduated. He's the closest to a baby Royce and I have. Leaving my shoes and jacket at the door I went to the answering machine. It's like second nature to me, I have to check my messages before I do anything else.
"You have two new messages." The voice said. I had a pretty good idea who they were from already.

"Hey sweetie, I'm so happy for you. I hope your last day at school wasn't too rough. I know you're going to miss it there, but I'm so glad that you're going into something so much better. Oh by the way, I have a new recipe I want you to try it's delish! Call me! Love you Ava bear."

I smiled listening to my mother's message. Everytime she finds a new recipe, she pressures me until I try it for myself. That's what it's like having a chef for a mother. 

"Hey beautiful, I hope everything went okay with you today. I miss having you so close to me. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Be careful going to Seattle tonight with Cat and don't have too much fun without me. Call me when you can, I love you." Royce's voice rang out loud and clear and my heart ache slightly.